This week, the qualitative research method I conducted was participant observation. I did qualitative research on Tuesday, March 4th on campus. My participant observation consisted of partaking in a multi-issue protest that was being held on school grounds. My research began a little before 2 PM and ended a little before 3 PM. I chose to march for Students Against Rising Tuition, but since I didn’t have much time to get to campus sooner, the sign I made was pretty basic. The question I selected from the GSS website was, “Over the past 5 years have you joined a protest rally or march, to express your opinion about an issue or support for a cause?” In an attempt to start my research, I followed the comprehensive principle to the best of my ability.
The protest took place outdoors. It was held at the Fresno State campus, in which we began in the Free Speech Area. From there, we marched toward the rose garden, Shaw Avenue, the Smittcamp Alumni House, the Joyal Building, the Craig School of Business, the Science I and Science II buildings, the Social Science building, and headed back to the Free Speech Area. We passed buildings, trees, squirrels, cars in parking lots, and other individuals who were on campus. We never left school grounds during our march.
On this particular afternoon, the students involved in the protest were my focus. As the participants held their signs proudly during the march, I noticed that there were about 60 or so individuals. The majority of them were female, but almost all of them were students as noted by their backpacks. As for faculty, Dr. Kubal was the one leading us and Dr. Jendian also participated in the march.
Before the march started, participants and observers gathered around the Free Speech Area on campus to inform themselves on the given issues. Those students who had a table appeared passionate about the issues they were bringing awareness to. They were informative and answered any questions. Once the march actually started, everyone’s attention was on Dr. Kubal, since he was the one leading us. As a group, we all marched together around campus to raise awareness for all the different issues. When we passed by other students, some of them stopped to read our signs. When we passed Shaw Avenue and some of the parking lots, individuals in their cars also honked for support; at least that’s what it appeared like.
The duration of the march was about 40 minutes or so. However, some of the participants were there way before the march began, making signs and informing others on the current issues. Even after the march was over, I noticed some of the participants socializing with each other. The goal of this particular protest was to come together and help raise awareness with hopes of bringing about change. This was quite evident in the signs that were being carried and the expressions of the participants.
In this environment, the emotions of the participants appeared somewhat serious, at least during the march. For those individuals who strongly felt passionate about raising awareness, you heard them chant. However, some appeared more laid back as they conversed with the individuals next to them. The characteristics of the talk in this particular march were limited and quiet, but at times very expressive. Sometimes being quiet is more powerful and effective. Nonetheless, I heard participants say stuff like, “definitely good exercise,” “kind of quiet for a protest,” “at least we’re spreading awareness,” “it’s for a good cause,” and “one small step to changing the world.”
In regards to the question, “Over the past 5 years have you joined a protest rally or march, to express your opinion about an issue or support for a cause?” the results from GSS provided that 5.7 percent of individuals have joined a protest rally or march whereas, 94.3 percent of individuals have not. In other words, 78.8 of those GSS respondents have and 1,310.6 respondents have not. This could help explain why only about 60 or so individuals participated in the march on campus.
For this participant observation experience, I thought I did rather well, considering this is my second participant observation in which I conducted research. I feel I accomplished the task of effectively and efficiently using the comprehensive principle in my field notes. In addition, this was my first time participating in a march and I enjoyed it. I do see myself getting more involved in the future.
Appendix:
No comments:
Post a Comment