Nancy Mosqueda
Sociology 176
Combined Paper
5/15/19
Introduction
For my group I chose I local Fitness center. I started my research conducting observations of my group.I observed employees part of a local fitness center. My observations lasted anywhere from 30 minutes to an 1 hour in a time span of 4 days. While my time observing I took notes on the environment of the fitness center, but mainly interaction employees had amongst themselves, with current customers, as well as people interested in joining their fitness center. Pulling from our theories I was able to observe a lot of backstage and frontstage behaviors, as well as the different roles employees had. After completing my observation a I conducted Interviews with members of the group. I interviewed three different employees from the local fitness center. An assistant manager and two team members. Two female workers, and a young male worker. I chose to interview the assistant manager because I felt she would be a good gatekeeper and give me good insight on my group. All three interviews combined lasted approximately 47 minutes. During my interviews I made sure to validate, show empathy, and probe, ask for as much detail possible from the individuals who I interviewed. The final part of my research consisted of a content analysis. For my content analysis I analyzed a number of documents released by the local fitness center that strives to create a welcoming, judgement free environment for all of its guests. I gathered thirty documents that included documents such news articles, blog posts, local reviews, social media posts with a large number of comments and as well as content from many more social media outlets. Considering my group is located in different states across the United States, I was able to retrieve documents from different locations as well. Carry the same message throughout all gyms regardless of the situation I was able to find content that best fit the theories I decided to discuss.
Literature Review
Social interaction, a fundamental aspect that helps build a society and individualization. Socialization is a process that's teaches individuals how to interact proficiently with one another and interpret symbols and language. Not only does socialization teach individuals how to interpret it also teaches how one should conduct themselves in according to the situation that they are in (Dillion 2013). How an individual interacts and interprets influences how they will react to one another.
Symbolic interaction, a sociological perspective that emphasizes on social life within any given society, it focuses on the process people take when exchanging and interpreting symbols (Dillion 2013). Through symbolic interaction, individuals are able to give meaning to a situation or conversation and help better understand interactions with each other. Symbolic interactionism main goal is to analyze the meaning of an individual's everyday life through the process of observations developing understandings of underlying forms of human interactions and performances during those interactions (Symbolic Interactionism 2014). Interpretations and meanings derived from conversations individuals have can have multiple meanings and can be redefined in many ways, as well as the meanings that we give to symbols have the ability to change over time as well creating new interpretations and meanings based on the social context on the conversation individuals are having (Dillion 2013). THrough symbolic interaction individuals reality is created by their own perceptions, therefore symbols and meanings are very fluid.
Theorist Erving Goffman uses different metaphors of a theatrical performances to further explain on the many different aspects that take place during any face to face interaction individuals may have on a daily basis. Goffman illustrated how social life could be defined as a role performance, one of the many concepts Goffman defines is front, the self presentations that is maintained by a person in order to present their explanation of the situation they are currently in including the role they are performing (Dillion 2013). An important emphasis on how an individual behaves during their front role depends on their setting as well as other important elements that can help signal the behavior that is expected from them. When an individual is taking on any given role they are constantly looking for important cues that can help better understand what is expected of them from others as well as what is the appropriate way people act in that situation. There can be situations where cues in certain situations and settings are not clear or present which can then confuse the individual's interpretation of the situation thus creating difficulties as to how they should act in according. An interview question that could be asked pertaining an individual's front would be "As a professor how to you behave and interact with your students?" An observational question could be "What are some differences I can observe as to how a professor interacts with his or her students compared to how he or she would interact with others away from school?"
Two other concepts Goffman discusses that go hand in hand are front stage and back stage. Front stage is an individual's established role behavior in any setting where the expected performance is given. Backstage performance can be explained as the location when an individual prepares them selves and can practice the behavior that is expected of them when they are in a front stage position. Goffman defines front stage as the physical setting where the individual can present themselves in front of an audience, when doing so they will include and demonstrate the official recognized standards that is expected of them from who they are performing to (Robinson, Schulz 2016). When an individual is backstage they typically drop their front stage behavior and interactions that take place are out of character, people may behave in a way that they would not behave if they were in front of that same audience. When a person is interacting in the backstage it can be described as a more relaxed and can be a place where a person may have the ability to be a more comfortable and genuine version of themselves and not be an act that they may be either required to put on or they feel is necessary for them to behave and interact with others. A question that can be asked about frontstage in an interview would be "What is your composure like when you are working with clients at the restaurant?" An Observation question of front stage could be "What are some different behaviors that I notice typically take place when an individual is working with clients at a workplace?" A backstage question that could be asked in an interview would be "How would you illustrate your interactions and behavior when you are around those you trust, for example close family and friends?" An example of an observation question for back stage could be "Describe how an individual acts while they are on their own or with a trusted individual outside of a work or professional setting?"
Interaction rituals are ways in which individuals on a routine basis self present and behave while they are in the presence of others. Goffman explains how daily interaction and behavior can be used as a way to maintain social order. Rituals can be defined are behaviors that can be simplified or exaggerated as well as display certain types of emotions during social interactions. Due to the fact that interactions are so ritualized behaviors an individual may or may not display can present something about that person's social identity (Dillion 2013). Goffman explains how interaction rituals have been institutionalized, who an individual is conversing with or the setting the interaction may be taking place is not a factor and gives the example of how something as simple as greeting a person has be ritualized. For instance how you greet a person depends on the nature of the relationship you have with that person and the cultural context. Rituals can be both verbal and nonverbal. Using body language can be a form of interaction through non verbal rituals. An example of body language could be simply staring at someone in a certain way when you are angry. The person you are interacting with will give meaning to your stare and react in according. An interview question for interaction ritual would be "Could tell me how you greet your best friend and compare it to how you would greet a stranger you are meeting for the first time?" An observation question of interaction ritual would be "How do people behave when they are in a courtroom compared to how they behave when they are at home?"
Roles help define how a person behaves in according to their social status. Social status are different categories people are a part of, for example mothers, fathers, sisters, girl friend, student, police officers, the list goes on. People feel obligated to behave in according to their role and feel disappointed if they don't (Fine, Martin, Sandstorm 2006). Roles help predict expected behavior therefore allows individuals to respond accordingly. For there to be roles people must engage in role taking. Role taking is the process individuals reflect on their actions from another persons with same same role point of view. During role making individuals improvise their behavior in order to perform their role that fits others with the same role. Using expectations as guidelines and adding some difference to make it your own. During role making reality has the capability to change. An interview question about roles could be "Could you describe to me what it is like to be a mother?" An observation question about roles could be "How can we tell apart the professor from the students?"
Self is a reflexive process that include both mental and physical attribute that are shaped through the relationships people hold with others (Fine, Martin, Sandstorm 2006). Through the self individuals develop a sense of who they are that also help with ways for people to react to certain situations when communicating with others. Through interaction is how people learn who their true self may be. According to Mead language is a crucial part in developing the self because through socialization individuals create perspectives of others that allow them to respond to those assumptions (Fine, Martin, Sandstorm 2006). The process of finding an individual finding their true self is an ongoing process that has the ability to change and is also collaborative. An interview question for self would be "How would you describe your personality around those you are most comfortable with?" An observation question could be "Where would I be able to see someone express who they are?"
Through symbolic interactionism individuals have the ability to understand and interpret what others are communicating to them. Interactions and symbols created through language are a lifetime process that have to power to shape an individual's identity, expectations of how they should behave, and how to respond. Communication can be both verbal and non verbal yet individuals have the ability to recognize and understand both.Through socializations individuals are able to create different role to accommodate with the number of social identities they identify with. Symbolic interactionism, and the many different aspects of it help individuals understand the world around them.
Ethnography Summary
When conducting ethnographic research, a researcher must always present themselves in a respectful manner, ensuring they are dressing the part considering the location and individuals that they are observing. When conducting observational research before entering the group being studied must decide whether they will be an observer who is an active participant or as someone who stands off to the side while doing their observations. Before that they must also take into consideration the expectations of the group or subject being studied, they may want for the research to be an active participant or someone who is off to the side observing. Another important aspect of observational research is field notes. When observing it is important to take down as much notes possible of the different things you are observing. The longer you take to get that information down the more detail you will forget and not be able to add into your research. The more in depth and detail you include in to your field note they stronger that your research will be. Aparts from jotting down filed note another great way to get down your observations is through a recorder, when using a recording device you are able to get in much more detail than you would if you wrote down your observations. Ethnography research is important to help get a better understanding of the different roles, expectations, as well as views your group or research study has because you are first hand witness the different things that they do.
Interviews
The author briefly discusses the different types of interviews that could potentially take place, for instance job interviews, medical, psychological, and so on. But how qualitative research and interviews differs from the rest is it contributes to the body of knowledge all while importing conceptual or theoretical ideas. Depending on and individuals research question will influence on whether or not to hold an interview study, for instance those studying biography and accounts would typically use interview studies, opposed to those studying behaviors and interactions where they would proceed with a more ethnographic method. Interview questions should be framed according to the topic of the research study. Before submitting a research proposal to the IRB it is important for the researcher to have their interview questions developed prior to submitting it. When conducting interviews it is important for individuals conducting the interviews when working with human subjects is to ensure informed consent, confidentiality, and avoid harm to bother interviewer and participants. When submitting proposals to the IRB it may be asked for interviewers to included the potential harms that there could be. After finding respondents willing to participate in the interview, the researcher must select an interview location that is convenient for the participant, comfortable and safe for everyone including the interviewer, and in a private quiet location free from distraction especially if the interview is being audio recorded. When setting up an interview it is important for the interviewer to arrive before the participant, explain the purpose of the interview, allow questions or clarifications and have the list of questions along with pen and paper to jot down any notes and begin the interview. The process of the interview can be facilitated depending on how prepared the interviewer is, and any technology they are using for instance recorders. While the interview takes place it is important for the person conducting the interview to be actively paying attention the respondent. Also when asking open ended question the chapter discusses the importance of letting the respondent know that there is no right or wrong answer considering they might be hesitant to disclose too much personal information depending on the type of research being conducted. After finishing up an interview that was audio recorded the chapter discusses how it's important to transcribe all of the audio including everything that was said. The accuracy of the transcription is also important, making sure to get the audio transcribed as accurate as possible not changing up things that were said.
Content Analysis Summary
Both chapters eight and nine discuss how research methods go beyond face to face interactions or observations. Another form of research can be through the analysis of sources released through the web, or any other form of content released by those whom you are researching. This form of research also allows for the the researcher to retrieves views from different perspectives thus creating stronger findings about your topic. Although it has the potential to create stronger research, it can also shape the course an individual's research will take. That being said it is important for researchers to chose documents and sources that best fit the outcomes they would like for their research. The stronger more in depth an individual's sources are they better the research will be as well. When the time comes to choosing sources to analyze it can be helpful as well as beneficial to choose sources and documents from different forms of medias, that could include social media, news articles, blog posts, flyers, pictures, and many times even videos can be just as helpful. Written sources are just as important as visual sources such as videos, and photographs. Using visuals can be beneficial to use as access of viewing your topic in another point of view. Overall content analysis of sources released by the subject you are researching is important to view and learn thing that you may have not seen during your observations or heard during your interview.
Methods
When I conducted my observations and considering I had been there prior to beginning my observations I made the decision to enter my group playing the role of the martian. Observing everything as if it were my first time coming in contact with the fitness center and employees. My observations took place different days and times of the week to ensure I'd be exposed to variety of interactions. Pulling from our symbolic interaction theories, I revolved much of my observations from them. The theories I focused a great deal on was front stage and backstage behavior, roles, self, interaction rituals, front, and definition of the situation.While conducting my field notes I used thick description throughout my time at the fitness center to explain the environment, participants, and interactions that took place. I analyzed my field notes by coding them and creating nodes using the computer program Nvivo.
Using Nvivo I conducted a word frequency cloud. When I made my word cloud I only used the top 500 most frequently used words. Before running a query I also grouped the words by including stemmed words. I found that the word worker appeared in my field notes 99 times, along with the word walk which appeared 41 times followed by the word replied that appeared 37 times. I also included a picture of my codebook that includes my 5 nodes, with 3 quotes in each.
When I conducted my interviews I made sure all three of my volunteer respondents were willing to meet me either before or during their break at work, so I was able to conduct my interviews at the facility. My interview questions were based on the list of concepts from our theories. I found it was easier to focus my questions on the theories I had focused my observations on. During my first interview I decided to print out my interview guide and have it with me during the interview, but for the final two interviews I was able to memorize question I knew needed to be asked, and felt as if they flowed a lot better. To record my interviews I used a recorder application on my cell phone, and I connected my earphone that have a microphone to my phone. I was able to have respondents hold the microphone to better pick up their voice for my transcriptions. After finishing up my interviews, I uploaded them on to ottervoice where I used that site to make corrections and clean up my transcriptions. I then took my transcripts into Nvivo and I analyzed them creating five different nodes including three quotes in each. I was also able to create a word frequency cloud where I found that the words differently, member, and customers appeared most frequently. When I created my word cloud I removed some words before running the query because it was picking up respondent, and interviewer as the most frequent words. I also added below my codebook that shows my five different nodes with three quotes in each of them.
Finally for my content analysis portion of my research I analyzed content released by my group. I searched the web for any social media platforms my group may have had. Luckily enough the local fitness center had a number of social media accounts including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter along with others. Other platforms that I used were their own personal website of the group and any news articles or blog posts released by my group. Throughout my paper I replaced the name of my group with the letters "PF" to ensure confidentiality. After I found my articles I used a tool called Ncapture that allows for articles to be uploaded straight into Nvivo from the web browser. After uploading all of my data into Nvivo I browsed through all of my content looking for quotes that best fit the theories I focused on for the analysis. The theories I used included Diagnosis, Prognosis, Motivation, Agency, and Identity. After finding the quotes that best fit my Nodes I ran a word frequency query, and created a word cloud where I included stemmed words and also looked for most frequent words that are at least five letters or more. I've also included a code book that includes the titles of my five nodes and how many quotes are in them.
Name | Description | Sources | References |
Agency |
| 4 | 4 |
Diagnosis |
| 4 | 4 |
Identity |
| 3 | 3 |
Motivation |
| 2 | 3 |
Prognosis |
| 3 | 3 |
Analysis
Ethnography
Thick Description
I started my observations March 27th at 2:30pm. The group that I decided to observed is located in a local fitness center. Walking in, there was a lot to take in because the fitness center is such a big environment with a lot of different things going on all at once. So on my first day I decided to look around at the small details of the environment that some might not notice when walking in.
When you enter the fitness center straight ahead is the front desk.On the counter of black front desk there are three black computers. Next to the first desktop to the left side there is a purple vase with artificial yellow flowers. To the left of the flowers there is a silver tin bucket that is filled with purple and chocolate tootsie rolls. Next to the silver tin bucket their is another silver container filled with yellow pens with purple caps.
I started my observation by looking at was was sitting in front of me, which was the front desk. Having been inside of that local fitness center prior to my observation I never noticed the flowers, or the colors of the plastic pens next to the flowers. Moving away from what was on top of the front desk I began to look at what else might be around that area. The more you spend time observing the simple things that are around you the more you begin to see things you might have missed, or not seen before.
There is a purple wall behind the works with a calendar and four shelves. On those shelves there are different workout products that can be purchased by customers at the front desk. There is also gear including reusable bags, purple and black caps, duffle bags, beanies, sweaters, shirts, and sweatpants that are also available for purchase.
I observed the many different items that individuals are able to purchase at the front desk. The was not any sign that give any type of promotion to things that are being sold, they were just put there. I assume people interested in buy would have to ask workers at the front desk how much things cost because there were no prices, just the different products that can be purchased were on display.
The male worker is lifting up the machines while the female worker pulls a yellow bucket and mop. The female worker walks to the male worker lifting the machines, she holds on to the mop and lifts it up out of the bucket of water and squeezes any excess water and take the mop to floors and swipes it left and right under the machines, then returning the mop to water and walking to the next machine.
On March 30th, I focused more of my observations on the group members. I chose to describe in thick description how they worked as a team to complete a task. They both had their own roles in what was being accomplished and together they cleaned under all of the machines one by one. I was able to see all the steps that were taken in order to complete their work.
As I walk in I can also smell pizza, I look over to the right side of the entrance and I see a white table set up with 15 boxes of pizza. There is a group of three older women helping themselves to the pizza, taking there hand reaching for a plate and napkin, walking up to the boxes of pizza, opening them up and reaching for a slice.
When I did my observations, I was able to notice more than what is seen. I took notes on the different smells I came across, on this day of observations there was pizza, as soon as you walked in to the fitness center you were met by the aroma of freshly baked pizzas.
Backstage
During my observations I able to witness a lot of events in which group members were interacting in more comfortable ways, which would be most commonly seen when they are in the backstage, away from customers.
The female worker walked towards the male workers that had just hung up the phone and asked him "Are you working this weekend?" Male work answered "Yes I am scheduled both friday and saturday 2 to 10pm" The female worker replied "That sucks, I'll be here friday too from 8:30 to 4:30pm" The workers continued their conversation, while they were talking they were both smiling, and laughing
When group members interacted in the backstage, I noticed that they seemed very comfortable with each other. They joked around with each other a lot, in ways that they would not joke around with customers, when interacting with customers they were more put together and polite.
The two workers working together cleaning the machines are having a conversation. I can see them laughing, at one point the male worker pretends to almost drop the machine and the female worker tells him to "stop" but as she is saying it to him she is laughing. The male worker laughs too and tell her "hurry up my arms hurt" and she replies "how you work at a gym" the male worker replies "wow" and laughs. The conversation appears to be friendly and I can see a lot of joking around amongst themselves
When I observed the workers on this day, I was able to pick up backstage behaviors because as they were cleaning there were no other group members around or customers. They were pretty much alone, so they could be more themselves. I was able to observe how they interacted while no one was around them, they laughed a lot, and picked on each other. It was in a very friendly manner, not in a way that they were offending each other or getting upset.
After they walked out the two female workers walked over to the worker with the yellow jacket and said go steal us a slice of pizza or two we are starving as they said they were laughing and one of the female workers was rubbing her belly in a circular motion. The guy worker with the yellow jacket laughed and pointed to the worker with the black polo shirt and said ask the boss The worker with the black polo shirt looked up and jokingly said maybe if you did your work instead of fooling around you'd deserve a slice The girl worker laughed loudly as her cheek blushed and turned slightly red
I coded this as backstage because I was able to observe the manager joke around with his coworker. It is not commonly seen in the front stage managers joking around. At the time that they were having this conversation, again like prior instances there were no customers around them.
Definition of the Situation
On this day of observation I was able to take notes of the different types of norms that take place in the fitness center.
I hear weights slam so loud that all four workers look up to see where the sound came from. The male work wearing the black polo shirt reaches under the desk and pushes a button where a really loud siren comes on. I can see some customers stop what they are doing and look over to the front desk while other continue their work outs and look over as well.
I quoted this as definition of the situation because it is a norm to sound off an alarm anytime someone slams weights. This notifies guest that slamming weights is not allowed. So it was a norm for the employee with the black polo shirt to sound off the alarm as soon as he heard the loud bang of the weights.
The worker then asks to see her membership card. The member hands her over her card. The worker then grabs the card from her and scans it, and starts scrolling using the mouse staring at the computer desktop. She then looks up at the member and tells her that her next payment is april 17th and if her husband cannot come in before then, than to make sure to com in and freeze the account until her can so that way she doesnt get charged late fees because the payment won't be able to go through.
The guest was trying to change the form of payment, putting down her husbands debit card information without him being there. The employee let her know that, that was not allowed and he had to be present. This is definition of the situation because the employee was aware of the rules and made sure those changes were not made, she also offered additional options to ensure the guest would not pay late fees.
The worker then walked away and came to the front desk where the male worker who had sent him asked him what happened. The worker replied to him that the man got mad because he felt he was giving him orders and telling him what to do. The other worker then replied to him that he should not worry about what happen and that he would have a talk with him when he came up
On this day of my observation I saw an employee who was put in a tough situation and was dealing with a customer that was being rude. The employee continued to maintain a professional demeanor regardless of the situation. The manager noticed and decided it would be best if he had a talk with customer, to ensure there wasn't a problem.
Roles
Throughout my observations, there was one role in particular that stood out, and that was the role of the worker.
Another interaction that I see is the female worker on the phone, she answers the phone "Hello *Fitness center name* this is *Y* speaking" she is saying "sure I can check that for you just give me a sec to pull up your file" she is asking for her first and last name, the worker is typing it into the computer. She replied "It shows you have a passed fee of $21, that is why you account was put locked" she then replied to the person on the phone
On this day of observation I observed a female worker interact with a customer over the phone. The worker was very polite, respectful, and professional when talking to the individual on the phone, many traits one could associate with an employee. She was able to assist the customer to the best of her abilities.
The male worker that was helping the female clean the machines walks up to the front desk and tells the male with the black polo shirt "can I take my lunch break or should I wait" He then replies "Go ahead" and the worker replies "Thanks I will see you guys in a bit"
During my observations this day I was able to take note on the role of the manager. Throughout my time there I was able to see how employees ask for his approval before doing things, and they also let him know when they were finished working on a task.
The member asks the employee how she can change form of payments because she no longer had her past card. While the member is speaking I can see the employee staring at her listening to her question. She is smiling to the young lady talking to her to which she replies she would just need to see her new form of payment and ID, so that way she can do that now if she would've liked The member asked what if its her husbands card, could she still add it and bring in his ID, the employee then tells her if she could give a moment to ask her coworker if they are allowed to do that, and calls over the other female employee.
This day I was also able to see more of the role of the worker, and how they work together to accomplish a task. One of the employees wasn't sure of a something and asked for help from her fellow coworker. Her coworker was able to assist them and did so in a professional way.
Frontstage
Throughout my days of observation when group members were frontstage the majority of the time when they interacted with guest they were very professional, and were happy to assist anyone who had an issue or needed answers.
Two customers walk into the fitness center, the female worker with the purple jacket welcomes them. They ask for a tour, she replies "Of course, were you guys interested in joining *fitness center*" they replied that they were. She then says "Great, I'd be happy to show you guys around" she walks out from behind the desk and says "If you guys could please follow me" she is doing hand gestures waving at customers to follower her. She was was smiling and nodding as she spoke to them.
On this day a couple of guest came in and asked for a tour of the gym. I was able to see how the employee was happy to give them a tour, she smiled throughout the tour and answered any questions they had.
One of the male workers told the other male worker if he could please go and tell the guy that gym bags were not allowed in the work out area and had to put in the locker room. the male employee agreed and walked over to man and told him that he was sorry to interrupt his workout but that gym bags are not allowed to be with you while you work out, they must be put up in the locker room as the employee said this to him he was very respectful and polite.
The male worker was put in a situation where he had to deal with a rude customer. The employee was never rude back and his attitude towards the guest being rude remained professional. Had this not been in the setting they were in I don't believe the employee would have stayed as polite as he did.
The first form of interaction that I come in contact is from the young female worker standing behind the desk. She greets me by saying Hello welcome. She both smiled and nodded her head as she greeted me
There was not a day that I would walk into the fitness center and was not greeted by an employee. Any time anyone entered the fitness center, including myself, we were always greeted, and welcomed in. Regardless of what group members were busy doing they always made sure to smile and greet any incoming guest.
Interviews
Roles:
The first node that I created was roles. I asked respondents what were the different titles people held in the group. I also asked respondents to the best of their knowledge could they explain the different duties or tasks each role has. The quote below came from the first interview. I asked this young lady what he role was in the group, after she told me she was assistant manager I asked her if she could further expand and explain the different tasks she has as the assistant of the group.
Well as the assistant manager, I actually have most of the same tasks as any other worker here. I help clean the gym I also or when I'm in the front desk, I'll take the phone, take phone calls are greet customers as they're, you know, coming in. I also help any customers if they have any questions or issues, or I sometimes help give tours of the gym to people who are interested in joining. I'm also in charge of training any new employees who are hired with us with us and just making sure they understand the rules and what's expected of them.
For my next interview I was able to interview an individual who stated their role as a team member of the gym. She further describes her roles as the team member but focused more so on the cleaning she is in charge of doing while she meeting with her group.
yeah so like I said, I have to keep clean the gym I have to greet customers when they come in I have to answer phone calls people call to like, you know, ask what time the gym closes the world but all day every day. I also give tours of the gym. I like I said, I keep clean the gym.
For my last interview, my respondent was a male worker, who mentioned his title and role in the group is also a team member. Because my interview prior to this one was also a member I decided to ask him if he could walk me through his day at work as a team member. He also mentioned like the other team member when he is not working up front he is usually in charge of keeping the facility clean.
Okay, so, um, your team member, I know, you kind of touched on some of the things you do, could you kind of go more in detail of the things you do, like, kind of walk me through your day? Or what would a day like be for you, as the team member
Respondent 3:19
well basically we just, you know, clock in, be at the front desk, you know, help clients answer phones, you know, sign people up, basically, like, regular up front desk work. And then we also, you know, if we're not up in the front, were usually around cleaning up the gym, cleaning up the restroom, putting away weights and stuff.
Rituals
For my second node I chose to use rituals, and focus my interview questions on the different types of behaviors or responsibilities they have that are repetitive and almost comes to them as second nature. For my first interview the worker agreed that greeting customers at the gym is a ritual, regardless of what they are doing they must greet any person coming in. I then asked her if there was a specific way they greeted customers to which she responded that they do so in a friendly manner followed by offering assistance with anything..
Yeah, well, our usual Hello or welcome. We smile and, and just ask them if they need any help with something.
The second worker that I interviewed related filling up empty bottles of chemicals that are used by guests to clean the gym equipment as a ritual. She mentioned that it is something that they are constantly doing and making sure they are always filled and ready for guest to use them.
yeah that's that's definitely like a ritual I will (inaudible) if you see the bottle of chemical like an inch below a line it has then you have to go and refill it right away they always have to be constantly filled because people are constantly going to clean the machines or just wiped out anything So yeah, I would say that's like a ritual I guess and as you see a go down half we fill it back up.
When I asked the male worker what he felt were rituals at the fitness center he discussed helping customers and assuring that their needs are being met. They are constantly interacting with customers and much of their day is just that so he believed working with customers and meeting their needs was basically like a ritual.
Well, basically, you know, helping clients. So I would say that, because, you know, you're always helping clients coming in signing up, you know, greeting clients. So, pretty sure, like, clients is like, the main thing.
Frontstage
During my interviews I asked participants what their composure was like when they were at the fitness center working and interacting with clients. The participant described his behavior while hes frontstage as friendly but at the same time very professional.
well, you always you always got to be friendly, you know, but at the same time, you have to keep it professional. You don't want to, you know, do the wrong thing. And you know, give the gym a bad name. Yeah. So obviously, you want to keep a, you know, good positive attitude, but at the same time, you got to be very professional.
The female team member also described her frontstage behavior very similar to the other employee, again keeping their composure very friendly and respectful at all time when they are working or interacting with customers and they avoid to joke around with customers because they could take their behavior offensively.
well I would say the way i act with people that come in I'm very again friendly with fairly respectful I listened to everything they say in there like I try to help them to the best of my ability because that's my job.Very professional, very straightforward.I don't like joke around with them as much because they might not take it very lightly
The the assistant manager described their frontstage behavior very similar to the other two group members, describing her composure as both polite and professional at all times avoiding speaking to customers with slang or as she described street language.
Sure. So while I'm here I act in a professional manner. I'm polite you know, I greet I taught I, I used professional language instead of you know, your regular you know, street language you know, because you are in the, in a professional setting where your customers and their expect they're expecting a lot from you.
Backstage
My backstage questions consisted of asking respondents whether or not they felt their behavior of different when they are away from customers and around trusted coworkers. The assistant manager responded that she felt conversations with coworkers was more personal than with customers because they build relationships opposed to customers there isn't much of a relationship being built. Conversations held with coworkers while they are backstage are also not related to work.
Oh, sure. So when I'm with with the, you know, with trusted coworker, you know, with them, you know, we talk in a more personal manner, where, you know, I asked them, are we talking about our families, any issues or just struggles we're having and or, or ever even having a bad day, you know, if your trust you, you trust that co worker, you know, you're open to that person, well, compared to a customer where you can't go up to a customer and be like, Oh, I'm having a bad day.
The female team member also agreed that while she is in the backstage she is able to act in a more relaxed matter. She discussed she can behave more comfortably because she is around people that she trusts and has build relationships with.
well i think that i'm way more relaxed, and I don't feel as worried or scared of an employee or coworker might say. cause We're with each other all the time. So we get really comfortable and we build pretty close relationships with some other coworkers. So I would say what I'm not as uptight when I'm with them
The male team member again as the other employees before agreed that his behavior frontstage is different compared to when he is back stage. He described his behavior at home is not as serious and professional as it is when he is at work. Whereas when he is away from work he can joke around more and be more of himself.
I believe when I'm like, at home, I'm more of a like, I like to joke around. Like, I'm not very serious, you know, more. I could be more of myself. I feel like, you know, to wear when you're at work, you have to be you know, more professional? I mean, you could Yeah, the same time, you can be friendly, you know, you could joke around a little but not to the point to where you know, when you're at home, you could be more of yourself.
The Looking Glass Self
During this part of the interview I was able to ask participants of whether or not their titles influenced their behavior in the group, and how others perceived or judged them. I also asked participants if they could describe to me how they believed other members of the group judged or their perception of them. The assistant manager believed their judgement of her was being bossy, due to the fact of leadership that comes with that role she saw it acceptable that they judge her in that way.
I think that they may feel that I'm bossy, because I do have high expectations for those. And for those expectations may sometimes come off as demanding, but considering our expectations here at the gym, I feel as though that is necessary for a team to perform any higher level.
The female team member felt that other members of the group may have a perception or judgement of her that is friendly and sweet because she treats all group members with the same attitude.
they think I'm friendly cuz I'm very nice everybody. I I respect everyone I treat everyone equally. So I think they would their judgment of me is that I'm very nice person and sweet.
The male team member described others judgement of him as being a hard worker in the group that takes his work very serious but at the same time can be friendly as well.
hopefully, they think, you know, like, I'm friendly, outgoing person, you know, at the same time, you know, I feel like, they take me serious to the, you know, to the point where, like, you know, I'm serious about my job, you know
Content Analysis
Diagnosis
The first node that I created through Nvivo was diagnosis. Every group is fighting some type of issue or injustice in society. Diagnosis can be defined as the injustices that a group is fighting for, and the problems that they are trying to solve. Diagnosis tells why groups exist, and helps individuals focus on what is wrong. The first quote that I used for diagnosis comes from the About section of the local fitness center's webpage. The quote fits in diagnosis because the group claims that it is there goal to provide an environment where guest can feel safe and welcomed.
It's our goal to provide a clean, safe, welcoming environment for anyone who walks through our door, and all the equipment, amenities and support you need once you're here.
Another quote that I used for Diagnosis comes from an article about the fitness center on Club Insider, which is a website that released articles and documents about different gyms. The quote show diagnosis because my group received for an award that recognizes there actions against bullying, and for pro-kindness.
The award recognizes the company's impact with its pro-kindness, anti-bullying initiative, The Judgement Free Generation, and was announced at the 15th Annual Engage for Good (formerly Cause Marketing Forum) Conference. The Halo Awards are North America's highest honor in recognition of organizations that have taken action and positively affected their communities with effective social and cause marketing initiatives.
The final quote that I used for Diagnosis came from transcripts of a youtube video titled PF Fitness World Headquarters- Our Culture. A group member in the video is discussing how its their groups goal to create an environment where people can take the steps necessary towards a healthier lifestyle and they want to do so working together as a team.
It's this obsession and the devotion to create a business model that is getting people healthier we come in and everyone brings their best game to the table every day but we enjoy working together it's a culture where people respect each other's expertise we come and just work together very collaboratively I feel like I get to talk to anybody within the organization and learn from them whether it's the franchisees are people in the field or within the own department everyone is really motivating everyone as a team member
Prognosis
The second node that I created through Nvivo was prognosis. Prognosis is the solution to the problems a group is fighting for. Essentially the group can be seen as the solution to the problem, as well as joining the group. Prognosis can also be defined as what draws individuals it to joining and being a part of the group. The first quote I used came from another transcripts of another youtube video titles PF- Gym on the Rise. The quote illustrates prognosis because its stating that its not its goal to pull people away from gyms they are already enrolled in but instead create a fitness center for those who aren't enrolled and intimidated to do so because of any barriers their they may be.
PF isn't as interested in pulling away people from other gyms they want to attract people who aren't members anywhere which is 80 percent of the population so they try to learn what's preventing these people from joining and hopefully break down those barriers
The second quote that I used came from frequently asked questions made when planning to join the fitness center. The quote explains how the fitness center can be a place for those looking to stay healthy and keep in shape and not so much for those who are looking to become a bodybuilder, because they found that a main reason people do not join a gym is because of the intimidation it brings to those who are just starting their journey to be around those who have been doing it for a long time.
These clubs cater to casual people looking to stay in shape, not bodybuilders. There is mostly cardio equipment, with some dumbbells and other strength training equipment that doesn't go too high in weight. What this means is that if you're looking to get ripped, this is probably not the gym for you. In fact, anyone caught slamming weights or otherwise "gymtimidating" other patrons will have the Lunk Alarm set off on them and will be asked to leave on their second offense.
The final quote that I used come from a quote of a member of the group left on a reviews website of the fitness center. The review illustrates a list of all the amenities the fitness centers offers, which makes it more appealing for individuals to want to become a member of the group. As well as the low price cost it is join and all the friendly team members you can find their to assist you.
I joined PF Fitness about a year and a half ago. I saw that they had a special price to join because it was a new facility that was opening in Tustin. It was only twenty dollars to join and was even given a cute T-shirt! What a way to get me pumped! The facility included all access to all gyms, no contract and even an unlimited access to water massage beds and tanning booths. I love how clean the gym is and how extremely friendly the staff always is.
Motivation
The third node that I created through Nvivo was Motivation. Motivation is defined as why individuals should care about the groups topic, as well as why it matters to be a member of the group. The first quote come from another article found on Club Insider titled "PF honored for Excellence In Corporate Social Impact" It is a quote from a member accepting the award for the group, stating it is there commitment to give back to the communities extending their philosophy to spread kindness and o be inclusive.
"We are honored to receive this prestigious award and to be recognized for our Judgement Free Generation initiative, which is integral to our culture and vision for the future," said Chris Rondeau, Chief Executive Officer of PF Fitness. "As the home of the Judgement Free Zone, we have witnessed the amazing things that can be accomplished when people feel accepted and like they belong. We are committed to giving back by extending this philosophy of kindness and inclusion beyond our clubs to the youth in our communities, and we would like to thank our franchisees and partners for their dedication to this mission. We believe that, together, we can and will empower the first Judgement Free Generation of youth."
Another quote that I used came from another article about the fitness center stating that they pledge over 1.3 million dollar to pledge for pro-kindness and anti-bullying organizations. They collaborated with other groups and donated money to them such as the Boys and Girls Club, and STOMP Out Bullying. They do so because it is there goal to spread their philosophy of being judgement free outside of fitness center.
At PF Fitness, being judgement free is core to what we stand for as a brand, and we have seen first-hand the great things that people can accomplish when they feel welcomed and accepted. Today, we are excited to expand this philosophy beyond our clubs and into our communities," said Chris Rondeau, Chief Executive Officer of PF Fitness. "By collaborating with Boys & Girls Clubs of America and STOMP Out Bullying, we will empower today's teens to choose kindness and create a generation where everyone feels like they belong."
The third quote that I used for Motivation comes from another section of the article I used for the quote above. It's the group motivation to collaborate and to focus on the prevention of bullying that is impacting many students in schools across the country. And the fitness center is partnering with these other organization to continue to tackle these issues.
"Unfortunately, we are witnessing a crisis as bullying cases continue to rise. Our goal is to collaborate in how we take action to protect our teens. STOMP Out Bullying award-winning curriculum focuses on prevention which has already made a lasting impact in schools across the country. We are grateful for the opportunity to naturally extend our impact to the afterschool setting through the partnership with Boys & Girls Club of America. PF Fitness has put together a winning team and we are so appreciative of their generosity."
Identity
For my fourth node that I created through Nvivo I used Identity. Identity can be defined as We VS. Them. What does it meant to be a member of the group, as well as who the group is trying to win over and convince to join the group. The first quote that I used comes from a comment off of their twitter page. The comment was mate by a member of the group stating that they strive to provide fully functional and clean environment for all their guest
We never want our members or guests to feel this way while on our PF. We strive to provide our members and guests with a fully functional and squeaky clean club. Please speak with the management team. so that we may take a closer look at what you have mentioned. Thank you.
Another quote that I used came from an article titled PF Giving Back, The quote illustrates motivation because they are trying to win and empower the youth to grow up contributing to a more judgement free PF filled with kindness and encouragement.
The Judgement Free Generation® is PF Fitness' philanthropic initiative designed to combat the judgement and bullying faced by today's youth by creating a culture of kindness and encouragement. Our mission is to empower a generation to grow up contributing to a more judgement free PF– a place where everyone feels accepted and like they belong.
For my final quote I used transcripts from another youtube video that was titled PF Fitness- Gym on the Rise. The group mentions how they viewed things differently and created a unique way to get their message across to individuals to to bring awareness all while having their own look that distincts them from other groups.
PF Fitness looked at things in a different way and tapped into a market that had previously been mostly ignored another way they've achieved this size is their emphasis on marketing they spend millions on it each year the people who own PF Fitness franchises are forced to pitch in 2% of their membership dues toward national advertising and 7% has to go toward local advertising all of this advertising helps get their unique message across and helps build up some brand awareness they have a signature look with their signature purple and yellow all over it it all helps the public remember who they are and what they represent
Agency
My fifth and final node that I created through NVivo was Agency. Agency can be defined as what our groups are teaching individuals. It also describes how groups have the power to empower each other as group members and others who are not part of the group. The first quote come from an article stating that the fitness center donated a large sum of money to the Make-A-Wish Foundation helping serve local families help make children's dreams come true.
This donation from PF Fitness will help the Make-A-Wish Foundation serve local families and help make more children's dreams come true," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. "PF Fitness has quickly established a strong presence in Chicago's neighborhoods and demonstrated leadership and strong corporate citizenship in our communities."
The second quote came from an article on The Fresno Bee, that mentions how 91% of teenagers want to stay active during the summer and my group is giving them the power to do so by provide a safe location where they can come in and work out for free throughout the summer.
New research shows that 91% of teens want to stay active over the summer, and that's why PF Fitness is offering teens a safe space where they can get their sweat on in a healthy way," the company said in a news release.
My final quote that I used for Agency came from a campaign that my group created that states how everything other local gyms do my group like to do differently. THe fitness center is doing something that is fun and relevant for individuals and motivating them to lose the fear of joining gyms and join there's.
The campaign is a reflection of the type of brand that we are – fun, innovative, and sort of what we call 'category contrarians,'" Gosselin says. "Everything typical gyms do, we do the opposite, like high pressure sales and personal trainers that want to pressure you into signing up for packages…No intimidation really sets us apart from other health clubs. You see PF Fitness doing something fun and relevant like this, but other health clubs probably wouldn't do something like this on social."
Conclusion
During my time observing the employees at my local fitness center I was able to conclude that depending on the current situation and to whom they are interacting with, their behavior changes. Interacting amongst themselves seemed less structured as it was when talking to customers. I was also able to see how different employees handled different situations, although there were many similarities such as they all seemed to remain professional at all times when interacting with guests. As the days went on that I conducted my observations, I began feeling more comfortable with the way I was taking my notes, and found it was easier to speak into my earphones and record my observations. I was able to get more thick descriptions of what I saw and the different types of interactions I was exposed to.Analyzing the different documents that were either released by my group or articles released by other sources about my group was quite interesting. As for my interviews I was able to gather information on the different theories I chose to study. All three respondents were able to agree that while they are backstage away from customers they act different and more comfortable than they would while they are with customer. They also agreed it was easier to act more comfortably because they all get along and have a closer relationship than they would with clients. During my interviews I found respondents had a harder time answering questions on the glass self, and whether or not they act certain ways because they are being watched and judged. All three respondents were able to answer questions based on roles and from stage behavior pretty easily, because they are used to working the same routine every time they are working in the fitness center. Over all participants were able to answer my interview questions based on the theories I focused on. I was able to prob and ask for more information when they kept answers short, I showed empathy by many times relating to what they were explaining to me by giving personal examples. I would validate by repeating what they would answer to me and asking them to correct me if I ever got anything wrong. For my content analysis portion of my research I able to conclude that documents released by or about my group gave me a different perspective of my group than observing or interviewing members did. Overall the goal of my group is to provide a fitness center for individuals to feel welcomed and not as intimidated as they might feel at other gyms. They are also providing an environment for their guests where they don't feel they are being judged. Along with creating fitness centers for individuals they are also attacking other issues such as bullying in school by collaborating with the Boys and Girls Club, and donating money to organizations such as Make-A Wish foundation helping families who are going through a rough time in their lives.
References
Dillion, Micheal. (2014). Introduction to Sociological Theory: Theorists, Concepts and Their
Applicability to the Twenty-First Century. 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
(2014). symbolic interactionism. In Scott, J. (Ed.), A Dictionary of Sociology. : Oxford
University Press,. Retrieved 12 Mar. 2019, from http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199683581.001.0001/acref-9
80199683581-e-2306.
Robinson, L., & Schulz, J. (2016). Eliciting Frontstage and Backstage Talk with the Iterated
Questioning Approach. Sociological Methodology.
Fine A. Gary, Martin Daniel, Sandstorm Kent. (2006). Symbols Selves and Social Reality. 2nd
Edition. "The Nature and Significance of the Self ". New York Oxford University
Press. Chapter 4.
Fine A. Gary, Martin Daniel, Sandstorm Kent. (2006). Symbols Selves and Social Reality. 2nd
Edition. "Role Taking, Role Making, and the Coordination of Action ". New York Oxford
University Press. Chapter 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment