|
|
| Alcoholic Anonymous |
|
|
| Tomas Quiroz |
| Soc 176 Tu/Thur 7-9PM Dr. Kubal Fresno State University 12/20/2018 |
|
|
|
|
Introduction
My final research on Alcoholic Anonymous from the community will be from information gathered from three different researches. Information that with be gathered from these three researches will be provide through the three methods used. The research will have the same qualitative theories from theorist regarding symbolic interactions. The same five nodes will be used and different data and information will be gathered from the transcription for the findings and results.
Literature review
Theories on symbolic interactions are from the following theorist: Goffman, Mead, and Cooley. While conducted the different researches these theories were observed and gather into data for the research on Alcoholic Anonymous. Through the three different researches I gathered information pertaining to these theories from symbolic interactions: thick description, front/back- stage, status and roles, definition of the situation, and meaningful actions. These theories are presented and used by everyone.
Goffman created the concept dramaturgical. The idea of self, is important when others are involved. "Who we are" is how we portray ourselves to others and how they respond back. Individual act and change how they announce themselves in different situations. Goffman purposes social life as being parallel to acting on stage. He claims we're all actors playing a role to converse our intent and identity to others. Using impression management, we play a part by showing only the good side, and hiding the bad side. This way others will think well us and we feel accepted. Goffman claims we relay who we are using the personal front, which involves setting, appearance, and manner to help define us. The separation between front/back stage is vital to be victorious in impression management to inhibit certain individual from seeing undesirable behavior of us that may damage and doubt our role. Dramaturgy is conveying data concerning us to others in order to control their thought regarding us. We show ourselves to others cleverly by applying ethical demands so they will encourage our act and identity. Making mistakes may lead others to overlook our flaws or questions our act. Interaction is a give and take that involve people and where we act and show selves in situated identities.
Goffman is attracted to the symbolic exchange of societal act and face-to-face performance. His view is dramaturgical approach and he uses the simile of theater to go into detail of face-to-face relationship in daily life. He claims self is daily life and are perform by social actors that play diverse parts and role with assorted props and scenery. Social roles are scripted and determine by society and taught to act upon through socialization. We maybe role-playing but that do not mean we are pretending. Social interactionism claims our social life, and communities are not unattainable without social roles. Social role consist of having a self, through a give and take relationship with to another person, and continuously playing a role. Every social meeting we connect in impression management, symbolic job that we tactically perform to get a positive performance from our different parts. Front and back region/stage put on various act to diverse spectators. The front region is when an individual is anticipating performing well so they get a positive reaction from the audience. While the back region is when an individual is laid back and the performance to the audience is not as stressful because the judgments are not as important.
Mead interaction process is when people use gestures to establish roles that another person will play, individual compose a self-presentation for role-making and role-taking. People present their specific senses for self or self-concept to others. People are motivated to appraise and certify the self presented. Symbolic interactionist is the force to certify self through the eyes of other. People show their feelings during the reciprocal action of role-taking and making commands the conduct that others adapt. When people interact in meetings of meso-level, categorical unit, and corporate people forever take awareness of situational ecology and demography and fix their role-, culture-, status-taking and making. Face-to-face interaction encourages the feasibility of meso and macro-level sociocultural develompent.
Charles Horton Cooley concept is the looking -glass self. He created this concept of self as being social. Using the image of a mirror to acquire the thought of how others may picture them from their standpoint and incorporating it into their own self-concept. The self is a product from interaction with nature and reflection from connections with others plays an essential role in both sociology and psychology. Three important principles from the looking-glass self are; a person's appearance to another, thoughts of their opinion about out appearance, and our self-feeling which is either pride or shame. The steps of visualizing others impressions and thoughts of unifying them helps build self-concept. Self-concept centers feelings and emotional responses and involves reflection. The looking-glass convey the thought and images of how we see of ourselves from how others see us. We take in social standards as our foundation in socializing. Society shows growing interest with appearance and the opinion of others. The idea of the looking-glass self and its small- minded fascination with appearance are disparage by others.
Methods
The methods used for this paper consist of information from the ethnography research, interview research, and the content analysis or qualitative manuscripts. The ethnography research method was pen, paper and observing the fieldwork at the Alcoholics Anonymous group in Northwest Fresno and later transcribing the information into Nvivo. The interview research method was through the use of audio recording between three different individuals and later transcribe the information into transcripts for Nvivo. The content analysis research was gathering information from different literature on Alcoholic Anonymous and later transcribing the data into Nvivo.
Ethnography research is form through communication with individuals from different settings. Steps in ethnography are finding a setting, evaluating if accesses are public or private, geographical issues, interest, and cost. A researcher's front is their first impression to an individual similarity and connections make a successful study. A researcher embodiment is age, gender, race, class and appearance. These all shape whether an individual will grant access and entree at the setting. Two entree sought are embodiment and demeanor. Appearance and behavior matters at the setting to acceptance for continued studying. After achieving entree, learn to create new roles, status and relationships from the setting. Communicating and interactions have influence on both parties. Statuses are given through self or others for a place within society setting. Roles are expectations and behaviors that coincide with a person status. Incorporation is individuals assign a researcher status and roles from the setting. Incorporating is through communication between individuals and researcher. When observations no longer produce data, this defines leaving the field.
Research interviews are communication through questions about certain topics and interviewees given answers. Oral history gives data on personal and social experiences from a regular person about historical events. Ethnographic methods are interactions and behaviors. Interview methods are accounts and biography consisting of specific questions and audio recording of the conversation. Researchers pick topics on biographical connection to get perspective of individual's opinion through interviews. Qualitative interviews are to get narrative stories that are meaningful to the respondent's life events. Three principles for protection for human subjects before interviewing are informed consent, avoiding harm and confidentiality. Informed consent is a letter purposing the research with the interviewee. Confidentiality is nondisclosure of the interviewee's name and use code to identify interviewee for field research. Theoretic samplings are responses from individuals from research questions. Finding respondents are from the internet or the community. Face- to-face interviews appointments are to be convenient for the respondent in public because it is safe and private. Qualitative interviews are social interaction and method of data collection. When interviews are given communication reciprocate with questions ask and answers given data is collected through audio recording. The interview process starts when the researcher asking open- ended question and respondents give answers. Establishing a rapport between the researcher and respondent is a key to having truthful information given and descriptive narrative emerging. An interview officially ends when audio recording is switch off.
Qualitative manuscripts are steps of the data and concept clarified and put together. Steps needed are time, identify the writing process, organize data materials, plan logistic, and finally write the paper. The title in qualitative research is a vivid phrase and concepts focus about the manuscript. Abstract is a concise overview about the study. Introduction and the conclusion of that paper are concepts, theories applied, findings and overview of the research. Literature review of the paper is theories connected to data from the paper. Methods are the setting, data collected, and data analysis. Analysis contains data broken down into quotes to tell an individual's stories or facts. A reference page includes information used from another source. Edit and review the paper for submission without typos or errors making sure information is easy to follow on the topic. Qualitative analysis has information of data, transcripts, created detailed information and data representing the study. Analytics description is developing concepts to research questions answered from the data identifying recurring pattern to construct groups of data linked from literature, theories, and concepts from the interview. Analyzing field notes is the knowledge from the setting, research, and grouping data. Analyzing interview transcripts are the data from the individuals responding to questions about the social world in their experiences. Analyzing documents and images is through a person's own viewpoint. Analytics ordering is connection from data themes, analysis interpretation patterns, and using quotes leading to analytic theme.
Findings/Results
Using the transcribed information from the three different researches, I was able to gather a total of 15 nodes and 45 quotes. The qualitative theories from symbolic interaction are thick description, front/back- stage, status and roles, definition of the situation, and meaningful actions. This information gives data on Alcoholic Anonymous through the different approaches and these are the findings and results.
Thick description- detailed account of field experiences in which the researcher makes explicit the patterns of cultural and social relationships and puts them in context
My first observation was at a local Alcoholics Anonymous(AA) meeting was located in northwest Fresno on October 30, 2018 from the hours of 8pm-930pm. Information from my field notes will describe my arrival at the Alcoholics Anonymous(AA) meeting.
I arrived ten minutes early before the scheduled meeting, so I could get a good seat.
It was pitch black dark and the weather started to feel a little chilly temperature in
the 75 degrees. Almost all participants were older males who were outside smoking and chatting waiting for the meeting to start. All the seats were configured into a circle. The chairs are not that comfortable, the seats are metal folding chairs that have no cushions.
The meeting was held during the night and I walked through a cloud of smoke of only male participants as I walk to find a seat to sit on, which were uncomfortable chairs shaped as a circle waiting for the meeting to begin.
My second observation was held at the same location but on November 9, 2018 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Information from my field notes will describe my arrival at the(AA) meeting.
The sun was going down and it starting to get dark, the weather was calm and cool with temperatures in the lower 70 degrees. The setting and the amenities were the same except for the participants. This scheduled meeting was held primarily for males and females within the ages of 18-24.
The meeting was in the evening, there was a more diverse group of participants that attended.
These participants seem to be less serious and less passionate about the recovery of their alcoholism. Many stated they were only involved because it was required by them from the courts. I did not come across one participant that was attending the meeting freely.
I saw participants not engaged in conversation regarding the recovery from alcoholism.
Information from my transcript will describe the thick description from the conducted interviews through audio recording. Information from my audio transcribe will describe the thick description that I heard to during the conducted interview.
It is in a building with lots of chairs and banners and flyers posted on all the walls. All the flyers are AA related, like regarding outside events for those with no life. There is always coffee being made, for some reason the people like to drink coffee, I don't and oh yeah there are hand sanitizers everywhere. I guess because people are disgusted by each other.
Interviewee#3 describes the AA meeting setting with lots of chairs full of banners, coffee. and hand sanitizer because participants are grossed out with one another.
Anybody from the community who wants to attend can come sit down and engage in some group activities. Such as listening to a speaker or possibly reading from a textbook on alcoholism normally the AA big book or the 12 Steps of AA literature. Individuals speak and share on the topic being discussed.
Interviewee#1 describes how AA meeting are open to the community and the group activities involved.
As far as like what groups could be accepted, I've gone to other meetings where it was in a location in a part of town where they didn't really accept homeless people just because of the stigma they have they would come and leave the facility a mess. Majority I would say these meeting are open to the public and they're not bias to anybody as long as your there to listen and respect everybody's opinion and what they have to say
Interviewee#2 describes how some AA groups don't accept homeless while majority of AA groups accept anyone who comes.
Information that I gathered will describe the thick description about and regarding Alcoholics Anonymous. Many of the information that I pulled out, provide detail stats and facts associated with the group.
Alcoholics Anonymous beginnings in Akron, Ohio, 1935 when Bill W. on business there successfully sober for the first time sought out another alcoholic a local doctor with a drinking problem and together that their ability stay sober. In 1939, the publication of the book Alcoholics Anonymous and as the result of the help of a number of nonalcoholic friends, the Society began to attract national and international attention.
The A.A. organization had its first publication book in 1939 from two men helping one another stay sober and it has continue to spread its teaching from the book to help keep other individuals in sobriety.
Alcoholics Anonymous is an international fellowship of men and women who have had a drinking problem. A.A. members share their experience with anyone seeking help with a drinking problem; they give person-to-person service or "sponsorship" to the alcoholic coming to A.A. from any source. The A.A. program, set forth in our Twelve Steps, offers the alcoholic a way to develop a satisfying life without alcohol.
The A.A. is international and helps everyone seeking help from alcohol abuse by offering their services and following the Twelve Steps that are taught at the meetings.
The General Service Office G.S.O. Publishing Department has coordinated translations of the Big Book in 69 languages and translations of other A.A. literature in more than 91 languages. Staff communications often help someone find local A.A. meetings, link members in service, and support the start of A.A. in countries where there are no A.A. meetings. 8 million books, pamphlets, video and audio products are distributed annually.
The A.A. organization literature materials are from the G.S.O. Publishing Department and 8 million are distributed yearly.
Frontstage and backstage- frontstage is a performance played to convey others to approve and fit in of, while backstage is how we act at when no one is looking
My first observation of the participants was on October 30, 2018 from the hours of
8pm-930pm. Information from my field notes will describe the front and backstage that I observed at the meeting.
The chairperson has a frontstage as being an authority figure and keeping order and staying on the scheduled topic during the meetings. Their backstage as the chairperson during their break times was comingle with the participants outside and smoking cigarettes.
I saw the chairperson was displaying their role as an authoritative figure within the group but also displaying their civilian behavior.
The participants has a frontstages which I labeled as a follower and their backstage will vary among every participants, which I didn't get a chance to fully observe
I saw the participant and gave them a displaying role as a follower but their backstage will differ among one another.
The second observation was on November 9, 2018 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Information from my field notes will describe the front and backstage that I observed at the meeting.
I observe the jester frontstage as being a joker who pokes fun and interrupts other during discussions. The backstage of jester while involved in discussion seems to be very passionate in their path to recovery.
I saw the jester was displaying their role as a joker during discussion but also displayed a passionate behavior to change.
Information from my transcript will describe the front and backstage from the conducted interviews through audio recording. Information from my audio transcribe will describe the front and backstage that I heard to during the conducted interview.
I like just act like I care about not drinking when in the meetings, but when I'm gone, I really don't care or think about what is said or shared. I never would have seek out coming to this place, only until I was told to by a judge and public defender
Interviewee#3 is displaying the frontstage as a caring participant but her backstage is that she could really careless.
Got court ordered to go and do three classes part of a DUI that I receive or alcohol relate incident. It was really just a check in a box. I found myself in a really bad spot like I felt like I had nowhere else to go and I remember hey know what maybe I'll just go back to one of these AA meetings. I kind of realize that maybe some of the stories weren't just about them, I was right up there with them.
Interviewee#2 is displaying a frontstage as attending AA because it's required from the court but his backstage is that he has just realize he maybe an alcoholic.
Career as a respiratory therapist. We're all alcoholics, we're trying to get better, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, or occupation, or mission in life. I would say there is no other place on the planet like AA meetings. May I add that actually is a better lifestyle than I see most people have, that is being an alcoholic in Alcoholics Anonymous is about the best thing anyone can possibly imagine.
Interviewee#1 is displaying a frontstage as a respiratory therapist and his backstage is recovering alcoholic.
Information that I gathered will describe the front and backstage about and regarding Alcoholics Anonymous.
Through a corrections committee working with corrections personnel, alcoholics
are reached who might never otherwise find the A.A. program. An active corrections committee is a vital link to prisons and jails, providing professionals and other workers in correctional facilities with information about A.A., literature, and guidelines for setting up A.A. groups on the inside. The first Correctional Facilities Committee was in 1977.
The frontstage is Correctional facilities are for inmates serving time in jail or prison and the backstage is Correctional facilities partnership with A.A. organization to help individuals who are locked up with their substance abuse for alcohol and help them maintain sobriety.
There is probably no better place for an A.A. member to find a suffering alcoholic than in a treatment facility or outpatient treatment. According to the A.A. 2014 membership Survey, 32% of our members cited treatment facilities as a factor most responsible for them coming to A.A. Committee members are finding more women and young people in treatment, more clients with drug problems and mental illness, and higher bottoms.
The frontstage is a treatment facility is for people with different substance abuse for male and female. The backstage is the treatment facilities partnership with A.A. organization to help those who have alcohol substance abuse with their sobriety.
One of the most common misconceptions about A.A. is that it is a religious organization. The Twelve Steps, are in no way a statement of belief; they simply describe what the founding members did to get sober and stay sober. The Steps plan: admit that alcohol has you beaten, clean up your own life, maintain a relationship with whomever outside of yourself to keep you sober, and work with other alcoholics.
The frontstage of A.A. people think it is only religious organization but backstage it is an organization that just follows steps that the founder used to stay sober and is not based on religion.
Status and roles- status is a given title by society, while roles are rights and duties attached to a given status
My first observation of the participants was on October 30, 2018 from the hours of
8pm-930pm. Information from my field notes will describe the status and roles that I observed at the meeting.
I observed a participant who clearly had the status of being the leader of the group. This individual would keep the meeting contained, by which I mean would not tolerate other participant get off topic or pose as a distraction to others.
At the meeting, participants who keep others from getting distracted are given a status of the leader role.
The second observation was on November 9, 2018 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Information from my field notes will describe the status and roles that I observed at the meeting.
The roles of the followers are to basically follow through the readings and discussion. I pretty much defined all participants as followers because they are together in search of the same goal.
At the meeting, participants who follow in search of the same goal are given a status as a follower role.
The role of the denial, is from individuals who insisted they did not have a drinking problem and were only attended because they are required too. They never admitted guilt and almost always would blame others for their actions.
At the meeting, participants who won't admit to having a alcoholic problem are given a status as being in denial role.
Information from my transcript will describe the status and roles from the conducted interviews through audio recording. Information from my audio transcribe will describe the status and roles that I heard to during the conducted interview.
I am 20 years young and I am a south East Asian female. My current occupation is a full time student. I am here at the AA meetings, because I was convicted of a DUI and the court ordered me to start attending AA.
Interviewee#3 status is a young female college student who got a DUI and her role is to
cooperate with the courts order.
I spend most of my adult career as a respiratory therapist in most of the Clinics of the San Francisco Bay Area. I come to Alcoholics Anonymous for three reasons, to maintain my physical sobriety, to be around other people, and to treat these psychological aspects of this seemingly hopeless disease.
Interviewee#1 has a status as a respiratory therapist and his role is as a recovering alcoholic.
My age is 35, I'm a male, a veteran. I would say I'm a recovering alcoholic because I think about it all the time. I've been through all of that and it's just all end in the same result and it's just better not to pick the bottle up.
Interviewee#2, status is a veteran who takes on the role of a recovering alcoholic.
Information that I gathered will describe the status and roles about and regarding Alcoholics Anonymous.
Most frequent professional calls actually come in from people in business — bosses, administrative personnel or human resources professionals, saying 'I have an employee who has a problem with alcohol— what can I do?'" Over the years since publication of the Big Book, the range of resources for alcoholics in the workplace has grown and evolved, especially with the advent of Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs).
The roles are employers seeking to help their employee the status who are in need of help with alcohol substance abuse from guidance and information from AA organization so their employee can still have a job and fight alcoholism.
A.A. members have always been accept the goal of including all alcoholics belonging to a group and partaking in the membership in A.A. Special Needs-Accessibilities Committees currently 200 such committees throughout the U.S. and Canada. To persons who are blind or visually impaired, deaf or hard of hearing, chronically ill or homebound, developmentally disabled, and many others who may have less visible challenges.
The roles of an AA organization is to help special needs persons the status who are also people who need help with alcohol abuse.
A wide variety of Accessibilities material is available that can help in this effort, including literature in Braille, American Sign Language (ASL), and easy-to-read pamphlets in English, as well as in other languages, in regular and large print. For a detailed list, information is provided at the end of this guide titled "A.A. Literature and Audio Visual Material for Accessibilities" with instructions for placing orders.
The roles of an AA organization are to provide the necessary materials needed to help anyone seeking recovery from alcoholism. The status are Persons with disabilities who will need help with alcohol abuse with the help of special materials at the AA meetings.
Definition of the situation-how we define the situation will determine how we behave (perform) in that situation
My first observation of the participants was on October 30, 2018 from the hours of
8pm-930pm. Information from my field notes will describe the definition of the situation
that I observed at the meeting.
The leaders definition of the situation is giving out advice to help new participants stay on track for sobriety by listening to the participants stories and not passing on judgments.
Participants who are leaders define the situation as giving out advice.
I notice that the follower define the situation as conducting themselves as individuals who are trying to kick the habit of alcoholism. Some are followers who have already kicked the habit of alcoholism but continue to attend the (AA) to help other.
Participants who are followers define the situation trying to kick the habit.
The second observation was on November 9, 2018 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Information from my field notes will describe the definition of the situation that I observed at the meeting.
Those who are in denial gives the definition of the situation as not caring about being at the (AA).They express their anger wasting their time at the meeting due to probation and/or parole.
Participants who are in denial define the situation as not caring.
Information from my transcript will describe the definition of the situation from the conducted interviews through audio recording. Information from my audio transcribe will describe the definition of the situation that I heard to during the conducted interview.
Just here because cops just want to ruin lives. I just drink on weekends, I'm not like a super alcoholic person, like the others. I don't think it has contributed to anything in my life, other than waste my precious time. I would rather be studying or things like shopping and spending time with friends and family, not here. It's kind of useless to me.
Interviewee#3 definition of the situation is the cops and court ruined her life now she must attend AA meeting but it's a waste of time and useless to her.
From the beginning fought tooth-and-nail through this process, which is I certainly did not want to understand or comply with any of the suggestions. However, I believe wholeheartedly in all of the suggestions that have laid before me from Alcoholics Anonymous. I believe wholeheartedly in the 12 steps, I believe wholeheartedly in the twelve traditions and I believe especially at first it is imperative to have a sponsor. I also believe that it's important to set up a social network of people who are in Alcoholics Anonymous.
Interviewee#1 definition of the situation is at first he was against the AA process but now he believe wholeheartedly in the AA program.
Don't want to goto AA meeting anymore because of that stigma, being judge. I was just tired of hearing all that negative and I understand i was putting myself there, I was walking in the door, I was that negative vibe. It was effective because attending it help me gain perspective of which way to go.
Interviewee#2 definition of the situation is that he stopped attended AA because of the stigma but felt that AA was successful in helping him maintain sobriety.
Information that I gathered will describe the definition of the situation about and regarding Alcoholics Anonymous.
Today there are more than 114,000 groups in approximately 170 countries. The practice of country-to-country sponsorship continues today as A.A. grows around the world. World Service Meeting (WSM) was conceived as a forum where A.A. members from around the world could share with each other how A.A. operates in their respective countries. The WSM convenes every two years.
The definition of the situation is people around the world are in need of help from alcoholism and World Service Meetings A.A. organization can be found around the world in 170 countries and the purpose is to assist any those individuals around the globe to find an A.A. group meeting in their own country.
The primary purpose of the World Service Meeting is to carry the A.A. message of recovery to alcoholics who still suffer, wherever in the world and whatever language they speak. The meeting seeks ways by serving as a forum for the sharing of experience, strength and hope by these worldwide participants. Focused discussion on how to improve on service delivery in translating and distributing .A.A. literature.
The definition of the situation is trying to help individuals worldwide who suffer from alcoholism the World Service Meetings A.A. organization purpose is by helping people succeed through providing literature in the language spoken in their country in regards to materials needed for AA sessions.
From its earliest beginnings, A.A. has always incurred expenses with the realization that A.A. must steer clear of outside contributions in order to maintain its autonomy and independence came the understanding that the money necessary for A.A.'s survival would have to come from individual.
The definition of the situation is that A.A. organization will always have expenses and their purpose are to only receive fund through donation and not from outside world so the organization will not have outside influence.
Meaningful actions- purpose or values from interactions with others
My first observation of the participants was on October 30, 2018 from the hours of 8pm-930pm. Information from my field notes will describe the meaningful actions that I observed at the meeting.
The leader and many of the followers describe meaningful action by telling stories about their past and what ultimately was their downfall to alcoholism. They express their reason to drinking alcohol was sociable drinking but never felt it was a bad habit. They reflect on the fact that alcohol has damage their lives in many ways. The participants express their stories to others who are listening, so they won't make the same mistakes.
Many participants describe their meaningful action by giving out advice through storytelling about their past and expressing others to think before making the same mistakes. In order to warn and keep other participants from following the same path that leads to alcoholism.
The second observation was on November 9, 2018 at 6:00pm-7:30pm. Information from my field notes will describe the meaningful actions that I observed at the meeting.
The following participants the follower, jester, and in denial are that they express they enjoy drinking alcohol because it is cool and sociable. The main reason as to why they must attend the Alcoholics Anonymous(AA) meeting is because they unlucky got caught drinking and driving. They also express their displeasure as to their future outcome due to constant participate in the Alcoholics Anonymous(AA) meeting weekly.
Many young participants describe their meaningful action is due to their love of drinking alcohol. They feel they just unlucky got caught drinking and driving. Felt pressured by other to attend (AA) meetings.
Many participants continue to drink because they were told by other to attend (AA) meeting. This was by family, loved ones, parole, probation, and by the courts and not by their own freewill.
These participants describe their meaningful action of attending AA is through the force of others and not from their own desire to attend.
Information from my transcript will describe the meaningful action from the conducted interviews through audio recording. Information from my audio transcribe will describe the meaningful action that I heard to during the conducted interview.
I really don't wont to break or violate the law anymore, so hopefully coming here will make things better. I am scared to go to jail, so having the opportunity to come here means a lot, so I can't screw it up. It is an alternative to I guess harsher punishment.
It means a lot for interviewee#3 to have the alternative of attending AA meetings instead of going to jail and she's very grateful.
Life-or-death situation and that was when I was 33 years old. I don't know if I was truly dying or not. I know that when I got clean and sober. That was a life-threatening endeavor. I found people that clearly knew what it was like loaded on a daily basis to not be able to stop. Rules are clearly set out by the traditions and for my own growth and development I work the steps for Alcoholics Anonymous and I believe it describes civility like nothing else on the planet.
It was a meaningful action for interviewee#1 because it was a life or death situation for him to quit the downward spiral of drinking and the ability to get help with alcoholism was a helpful.
It's like a chainlink you know like everyone in my family's in a alcoholics. I could start my own just chainlink. Reason why I stop drinking i just look at my family remainder to stop drinking. I got so much to look forward to now.
It was a meaningful action for interviewee#2 because he wants to stop the cycle of alcoholism and build a better chainlink and future with his family.
Information that I gathered will describe the meaningful actions about and regarding Alcoholics Anonymous.
We in A.A. are men and women who have discovered, and admitted, that we cannot control alcohol. We have learned that we must live without it. The consequences of our alcoholic drinking varied some had lost family, possessions, and self-respect. Meeting, talking, and helping other alcoholics together, we are somehow stay sober and to lose the compulsion to drink, once a dominant force in our lives.
The meaningful action is realizing through A.A. meetings from hearing stories of others and the similarities that plays in one another lives that sobriety can be possible through the help of attending A.A. and having other A.A. member to help keep them on track.
Public Information in A.A. means carrying the message of recovery to the still-suffering alcoholic by informing the public about the A.A. program. We carry the message by getting in touch with and responding to the media, schools, industry, and other organizations, report on the nature and purpose of A.A. and what it can do for alcoholics. The first Public Information committee was formed by the General Service Board, 1956.
The meaningful action is Public information about Alcoholic Anonymous are still trying to help reach those who are in need of help from alcohol abuse through public entities. If people out in the world needs help they can find it publicly and not feel alone.
Our group endeavors to provide a safe meeting place for all attendees and encourages
each person to contribute a secure and welcoming environment. If a situation should arise, where someone feels their safety is in jeopardy, the individuals involved should take appropriate action. Calling the proper authorities does not go against any A.A. Traditions.
The meaningful action is A.A. values the safety of all who participates at the group meeting and if law enforcement are called that individual is not breaking any A.A. rules or tradition because safety for all their participant and members are first before anything else.
Conclusions
In conclusion, my final researches on the community group, Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) are from three different research steps: the ethnography, the interview and the content analysis. These three different research papers gives information from three different viewpoints as an observer, an interviewer, and as a data gathered. Information gathered from qualitative theories on symbolic interaction were thick description, front/back- stage, status and roles, definition of the situation, and meaningful actions which were all gathered into a total of 15 nodes from the different researcher. The methods used were from pen and paper, audio recording, and data gathering from literature about Alcoholics Anonymous and transcribe into transcript to be use in Nvivo.
References
No comments:
Post a Comment