Aleks Rodas
Soc 176
Professor Timothy Kubal
20 December 2018
Final
INTRODUCTION
The group I chose to observed works in a university campus and they promote advocacy, social justice, and provide a safe space where students can be. There are three workers: the supervisor, the lead coordinator, and the student coordinator. My research includes three days of observation and participant observation and three days of interviews with three staff members. It also includes thirty-five flyers of events that the three staff members created.
The observation and interviews conducted were to gain knowledge of how the group corresponds to sociological theories. I found that the three workers are more relaxed when they are around each other but are more professional when visitors or others are around and all three are comfortable with each other and have positive relationships. I also found out the importance of their group and how it has impacted their lives. I had originally gotten the flyers from a binder they have but I had complications when I had to transcribe them so I went with an alternative which was their facebook page.
I also completed an analysis after I gathered all my data. The analysis shows ten different sociological theories and frequency queries for the observation, interviews, and the content gathered from the flyers.
LITERATURE REVIEW
Karl Marx anticipated our society would revolve around capitalism. While people were savoring the material goods that were coming from capitalism, Marx was acknowledging the unfairness it produced. According to Marx's theory of history, capitalism decides social structures and relations (Dillon 2013:37). Everything we do, what we want, and what we believe in is based on capitalism. It creates a never-ending crisis of exploitation of human-made stuff without making any progress in our society. Marx emphasizes that capitalism is just a misperception where people exploit themselves because they believe they are making a profit but are not only the capitalist is (Dillon 2013:50). The capitalist makes most, if not all the profit from the expense of their worker or workers. The workers have their unconscious going so they do not realize how capitalism is working against them. Capitalism can make people feel isolated, detached from things, and make workers feel less than a human being. Marx calls this alienation and it happens in four different ways: producing things you cannot afford, repeated work that causes unhappiness, work keeps you from reaching full capacity, and competing against coworkers instead of teamwork (Dillon 2013:55). These four ways are set up by capitalists, so workers do not progress in their lives. Marx highlights the capitalist system is an ideology, meaning we consider it normal without doubting it. He stresses people give consent to being laborers and to continue a capitalist lifestyle (Dillon 2013:63). People believe we must work for everything and that defines who we are. Marx argues, the reproduction of capitalism continues because of consumption, and people reduce themselves to what they own without questioning it (Dillon 2014:64). Instead of working together to get rid of a capitalist society we continue to contribute to that idea without imagining another way to live.
Symbolic interactionism was first associated with George Herbert Mead. He argues that the self is always working whether in situations or all alone (Dillon 2013:275). We have the self working when people tell us stuff or do stuff; we think what we should say or do back. The principle of the self is an interaction between "I" versus "me". "I" can be considered an internalized process; the "me" that individuals see is through the "me" that others interpret of them (Dillon 2013:275). Individuals internalize those interpretations and behave accordingly; there is a balance between the two meaning they work together. This is referred as the Cooley looking glass self: you are what other people think of you and it is perpetuated by interactions with others, coined by Charles Horton Cooley (Dillon 2013:276). The self can only be constructed through social interactions and can change each time. Mead states socialization is not just interacting with others but accepting what others think of yourself (Dillon 2013:86). Society is not preconstructed, we actively construct it and change it around through the collection of interactions. Mead argues the self is an ongoing process of transformation influenced by what we are doing and who we are with in different situations (Dillon 2013:277). The communication between individuals can also be interpreted by gestures that can give meaning without talking. When people interact or try to interact, they use symbols, hand movements, actions, and movements to give significance to that interaction. Mead says our interactions prepares us to know what we are going to say with our gestures and learn to interpret what others are trying to say to you (Dillon 2013:279).
The one who coined symbolic interactionism was Herbert Blumer whose approach was human conduct. In society, we continuously interpret and respond to gestures and meanings. Unlike other theorists like Marx or Durkheim, Blumer centers symbolic interactionism on the micro level and acknowledges the interactions that come from it, but the outcomes can be large scale depending on the situation (Dillon 2013:280). Blumer emphasizes there are three main premises in symbolic interactionism. The first premise is people act from the meaning of the situation; the second premise is we learn the meaning of the situation when we interact with others. The third premise is the individual actively interprets the meaning while they are interacting. Blumer says meanings are not already set up because society is not structured; it comes through a social context and then established at that moment (Dillon 2013:280). However, the meanings are not set forever, they continue to change. The meaning depends because everyone defines it differently, it varies on the social setting and who you are with (Dillon 2013:280). Objects like cars, clothes, institutions, etc., all convey a meaning given by individuals, and they perform from that meaning. The way we interact with others and ourselves changes in different social environments because of the expectations and meanings we associate with those objects (Dillon 2013:281). An individual evaluates themselves every time they look in the mirror hence, the Cooley's looking glass self. This interpretive process is how others sees us and whether we choose to act on it or not. They also reevaluate themselves in each social environment they are in like college, work, professional, and so on (Dillon 2013:281). You adjust yourself to each setting accordingly and adapt to it. Your evaluation also depends on your gender, age, race, sex, and other facts about you (Dillon 2013:281).
Erving Goffman elaborates symbolic interactionism by saying people are performers and perform differently in their daily interactions. Their daily interactions have different stages, roles, and props just like actors (Dillon 2013:281). There are socially accepted roles that everyone must follow but can vary depending on the situation or setting that they are in. These roles are already constructed so we cannot get rid of them, it is an obligation. Goffman says although the roles are already set up, it does not mean what we do, or feel is not real; individuals can identify with roles strongly and some roles more than others (Dillon 2013:282). However, whether we accept these roles or not, it is a necessity in our behavior. Goffman stresses it is not just a role but many roles that we play out depending who we are with, where we are, and what we are doing (Dillon 2013:283). The way an individual present themselves and their roles is a way to keep symbolic interaction going; it is also trying to manage how others think of you. Goffman says since individuals are actors, they want their performance to be exceptional, so there are no negative thoughts about them (Dillon 2013:283). The point is not just defining you but also defining the situation. Goffman argues to satisfy your audience you have to be able to coordinate with others when defining the situation because not everyone defines it the same (Dillon 2013:284). If an individual misidentifies the situation, the audience will think negative of them. Goffman stresses first impressions last and the inability to make a good impression can result in negative consequences (Dillon 2013:284). We maintain a front through every performance because people are always watching, and you do not want to be pointed out for not following the roles. You are obligated to follow roles and perform because it is essential to human interactions.
It is important for us to give a meaning to every situation, so we can build knowledge. We do this by applying phenomenology to symbolic interactionism, not just defining our self but things as well to understand the world. Phenomenology focuses on everyday experiences to characterize a reality (Dillon 2013:302). It is a sense of consciousness that an individual has with their own experiences. Alfred Schultz say each person interprets and act on their own reality of the world (Dillon 2013:303). Phenomenology like symbolic interactionism, emphasizes interactions, gestures, and performances. Schutz stresses it is critical for us to give full attention because that is what consciousness demands (Dillon 2013:304). Natural routines like taking notes or making breakfast are hardly given any more attention than it really needs because they are daily. We learn this because we inherit them by our interactions with others; we only question them when we are new to it or something is not working (Dillon 2013:304). Since these tasks are in our lives every day, it lets us have knowledge of what we are doing. When we are new to something, we must define that knowledge. The things we already know are highly influenced by family, community, and the society we are in (Dillon 2013:304). Our interpretation of reality is based on the experiences we already had, and the ones given to us by other individuals. This is known as a scheme of reference and it is meant to place us and direct us (Dillon 2013:304). You can also go through the same task as someone, but it does not mean you both gave it the same meaning. Everyone defines their situation differently based on their consciousness. However, having different definitions does not mean your world is private but shared, this is referred to as intersubjectivity (Dillon 2013:305).
METHODS
3-page essay
Ethnography
Ethnographic research is about getting access to settings with different factors affecting that access. Some factors are time, geography, or financial costs, and the place not being unknown to you. A persons age, gender, ethnicity, and appearance also contribute to choosing a setting and whether they will be able to get access to it or not. Ethnographic research is not just interacting and talking to others but how you do it and what you say. You cannot say and do what you want, you have to be able to filter yourself when talking and interacting with others.
Sometimes a researcher does not choose their setting but the setting is chosen for them. Sometimes researchers are already part of a group that requires research so they do not need to go looking for another setting. The setting also has to be a place where research can be completed in a time frame like a semester. It is also important to research a setting that is flexible and have enough members and meetings to interact with and at. It also is helpful to find out who is the key informant of the group or the gatekeepers to make it easier to get access to a setting.
A researcher should also dress to impress and have props with them when they are at the setting. Something proper to carry is a notepad and pen to take notes down especially when you are observing at the setting. A researcher should also dress how the persons in the setting are dressed. If it is a casual setting, a shirt and pants are good, if its a law firm a suit is required, or if the setting is athletic than dress in athletic clothing. Whatever the setting is, it is expected of you to dress and act how they persons there dress and act. Researchers should keep in mind that emotions can influence their research and the courtesy is required no matter the setting.
Interview
There are different types of interviews involved in qualitative research: face-to-face, telephone, or electronically. Interviews are to get to know the persons better but the purpose can be different. For a medical interview, there needs to be a diagnosis, in a job the employer wants to know why you are fit for the job. In research interviews, the outcome is to know something. There also are interviews with couples, focus groups, and internet-based like Skype.
Research interviews should be conversations where the questions should be topics of interest to the research and be relevant to the interviewee. There are different types of interviews in qualitative research. One interview is called oral history where interviewees talk about events that have happened in their life. Researchers use this technique to gather data that is not covered in groups or organizations. Research questions should also be general and open-ended ranging from 10 to 15 questions.
Interviews also involve technological equipment, this includes videotape, audiotape, or digital recordings. A researcher needs to be sure they have good quality equipment and should test them out before the actual interview. The researcher should also avoid excess noise in the background so it does not get in the way of the interviews. The researcher should also arrive on time to the setting and set up beforehand because adjusting yourself throughout the interview is bothersome. The best way to conduct the interview is sitting across from the interviewee and having the recorder in between so it can record both the questions and answers.
Researchers should keep in mind that there can be emotional responses regarding the topic they choose to ask about. Researchers should be prepared for emotional responses even if they believe they are not asking emotional questions. Also, some answers can cause an emotional reaction from the researcher.
Content Analysis
Data can also be gathered from media like visual images, magazines, newspapers, documents. It can also be gathered from the internet like facebook pages, blogs, youtube and other photo sharing sites. The data gathered from this is to get meanings and experiences just like interviewing someone.
When gathering data from these sources, it is important to not just get random information. If a researcher does a random sample then it would be an unknown variety that is not relevant to the research they are conducting. It will be difficult for the researcher to understand the data they gathered if it does not reflect anything from their interests which leads to difficulty in explaining their research to their audience. It is also important to have a time frame of the data gathered, and get recent documents. The farther back you go the less likely you will be able to get relevant information. The usage of images and other visual things is useful because it lets the researcher gain a different kind of insight about social life.
The last step of conducting qualitative research is analyzing all the data you have gathered from observing, interviewing, and the documents. The research has to organize all their data to make their point. Their data then needs to be interpreted in a way that is relevant to their interests and then understandable for their audience.
Methods: ethnography
I collected my data by observation and participant observation. The data was collected in a building on a university campus. I observed for three days: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. On Monday, November 05, 2018 I observed from 3:15 pm to 5:00 pm. On Tuesday, November 06, 2018 I observed from 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm and on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 I observed from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. I observed the supervisor, the lead coordinator, and the student coordinator. I also spent time with each worker individually to get a sense of how they act when they are alone.
My observations have a tremendous amount of thick description which means I described everything I saw. The theories I focused on is front stage/backstage, status/roles, the definition of the situation, symbolic interaction, and meaningful action. I used a computer software called Nvivo to analyze the data I obtained from my observations. Nvivo is important because it helps me create five nodes from the theories I mentioned. I also used Nvivo to create two-word frequency queries which tell me which words were used the most throughout the data.
As a researcher, I feel that the data collection was easy to obtain. The group was friendly and received me with open arms. I was able to notice things that I never noticed before and I realize that even minor details can cause a reaction. However, I feel that I am lacking data. This is because they do not have a lot going on since the semester is ending soon. Also because of emergencies and conferences, I was not able to gather information that could have been important to structure this research. Overall it was a great experience being an observer.
Methods: Interview
I collected my data by interviewing three persons of my group: the supervisor, the student coordinator, and the lead coordinator. I went to the university on two days to conduct two interviews. I reminded them about their anonymity and gave them consent forms which had regulations during the interview and they had permission to stop the interview at any time if they ever felt uncomfortable. The first interview was Monday, November 19, 2018, with the student coordinator for 14 minutes and 40 seconds. My second interview was with the supervisor which was supposed to be done the same day as the student coordinator but she had an emergency and had to leave early so we rescheduled. The interview with the supervisor took place at the center on Tuesday, November 20, 2018, for 17 minutes and 51 seconds. My third interview was going to be during the week and in person but unfortunately, she got really sick so we did the interview through google cams because we did not want to risk getting me sick. The third interview with the lead coordinator was on Saturday, November 24, 2018, for 16 minutes and 10 seconds.
These interviews had to be transcribed so I went to the universities computer lab and used a website called transcriptone.tk to conduct the process. First, I had to convert my audios to mp3 form because it was the only form of audio it accepted. After I converted it, I downloaded the mp3 conversions and reuploaded to the website to get the transcripts. The transcripts took about 8 minutes to arrive at my email. The transcripts were mostly accurate but I did have to edit some parts to assure anonymity and some wording; this process took about three days. I then used the universities computer lab for two days to analyze and code my transcriptions by using computer software called Nvivo. Nvivo allowed me to created five nodes for five sociological theories and two-word clouds. I focused on five theories: front stage/backstage, status/roles, the definition of the situation, symbolic interaction, and meaningful action. I also used Nvivo to create two-word frequency queries telling me which words were used the most in the interviews.
As a researcher, I believe the data was easy to obtain because the group was friendly and wanted to be part of my research. I believe the interviews went really well, and I obtained data that I was not expecting. I understood how if you ask questions in different ways, people will give you the answer that you are looking for without you having to pressure them. I noticed how nervous they were and repeatedly used filler words which were "like" and "um". Overall, I had great experience being an interviewer.
Methods: Content Analysis
I collected my data by going to their office and looking through the binder and getting the most interesting flyers. I had those flyers scanned and sent to my email but my first attempt to transcribe these did not work. I used the media editor on a website called transcriptone.tk but when the transcript arrive to my email it would say "transcription error". My alternative was a website called optical character recognition (OCR). I ended up using their facebook page, which is public and was able to download flyers without making a personal facebook page. Since these flyers had to be transcribed I went to the universities computer lab during the weekend and used the website OCR to conduct the process. First, I had to have the flyers as downloaded images on the computer and then uploaded to the website. The website has four steps: upload file, select language, select output, and convert. The transcripts took about one to two minutes to arrive at my email. For the most part the transcripts were accurate, although I did have to fix some wording. This process took me about four hours to transcribe thirty five flyers in one sitting. Only thirty flyers were required but I ended up with thirty five because I believe some of my flyers were lacking information.
I then used the universities computer lab the next day to analyze and code my transcriptions by using a computer software called Nvivo. Nvivo allowed me to created five nodes for five sociological theories and two word clouds. I focused on five theories: ruling texts, grounds, warrants, conclusions, and collective action frames. I coded four flyers for each of these theories. I also used Nvivo to create two-word frequency queries telling me which words were used the most in the interviews.
As a researcher, I believe the data was easy to obtain because the group was letting me look through their binder except for the technical difficulties I had to go through. I am glad that their Facebook page was open to the public and allowed me to get the content that I needed.
ANALYSIS
Ethnography:
Day one of observation: November 05, 2018
Day two of observation: November 06,2018
Day three of observation: November 07, 2018
Thick Description
The first day I observed was in the office at the university campus. They did not have much going on that day,
I went to the main office of the organization where people can go in and out. The lead coordinator and the student coordinator are sitting by a table making buttons. There is a button machine, a container of with buttons already made inside, and there is a container with bags of m&ms. They are quiet and focused while making them.
The second day of observation the group was hosting an event at the university campus in a place called the vintage room,
When we get to the vintage room, and it is cold inside more than it is outside. We start fixing the tables and the chairs and we put the table covers on them. We also put a table close to the entrance, put a table cover, and put different flyers. The flyers are about upcoming events that the organization is promoting like the transgender day of remembrance, cultural appropriation, and poetry jam. There was also a flyer for diversity dance workshop and gender revolution. The student coordinator puts a check-in list which requires the people who attend the event to check in, put their name and their email. We then set up two tables where the presenter can set up her stuff. The coordinators welcome her and lead her to the table to set her stuff up. While she does that, the coordinators then fix the screen and connect wires. The supervisor then tries connecting the presenter's laptop to the screen but it would not connect and the supervisor then realizes it is the wrong wire. The supervisor tells another worker if he can run down to her office to get the correct wire. Once he comes back, the supervisor is able to connect the screen to the presenter's laptop. The coordinators fix the podium with its microphone so all the people can hear her loudly and clearly.
On the last day of observation, there was not a lot going on either because they had to cancel a meeting,
I arrived at 2:55 pm at the supervisor's office because she was going to have a meeting with the lead coordinator and student coordinator from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. When I entered the office the supervisor informs me the meeting was canceled because the lead coordinator left to Georgia for a conference. The supervisor then says she needs to leave because she has an emergency so I stay with the student coordinator. I think the supervisor enjoys wearing fall attire, she was wearing pants, boots, a blouse, a jacket, and a scarf.
Front Stage/Back Stage
The theory presented here is Goffman's presentation of self. The presentation of self includes front stage and back stage. The front stage is usually a performance, a person's actions are seen by the audience. In the front stage, a person makes himself look good and tries to give a good impression. In the backstage, people usually do whatever they want because they are not performing to an audience. In the backstage you are not able to give a bad impression since you are not being watched.
The first day of observation in the office, music was playing while the workers were doing their job. This quote shows how front stage is performed by the supervisor,
The supervisor recently got married and loves talking to her husband about her job. She is a music lover especially of classic rock and has a small radio playing the music in her office. She says she does not play hard rock music because she does not want to cause a disturbance. She also mentions hard rock music is usually connected to the devil so she doesn't want anyone to think bad about her on the job.
That same day I was helping the lead coordinator cleaned up but she was really quiet with me. I assume she didn't want to give me a wrong impression but I wouldn't have mind if she spoke more. This quote is also an example of front stage,
She is quiet most of the time, I assume her co-worker and her supervisor bring out the "loud" side of her or because she doesn't know me well enough.
This example shows backstage and then how front stage is enforced when there is others around,
I noticed that the lead coordinator and the student coordinator were talking and laughing. They looked like they were joking around. Then the supervisor walks towards them and I overhear her telling them to quiet down and be professional. She is not mad about it, and she still has a smile on her face but I am sure she wants to give the presenter a good impression.
Status/Roles
A person's status is their position in a social situation. Their roles is behavior that is expected for that particular status. People's statuses and roles go together. Each worker has their own status and role in this organization.
The supervisor is the person in charge in this group, being a supervisor is her status while what she does is expect of her in her roles,
The supervisor tells the lead coordinator and the student coordinator what their jobs are. She mentions she always has meetings, mostly everyday of the week, and responds to emails. She is in charge of organizing events on the university campus and managing budgets.
The same is for the lead coordinator, being lead coordinator is her status and she does what is expected of her but she is below the supervisor,
The lead coordinator interacts with students, responds to emails, contacts people and help plan events.
There is a power dynamic because the student coordinator is below the lead coordinator. Her status is the student coordinator but her roles are doing whatever the lead coordinator or the supervisor tells her to do,
The student coordinator does the same as the lead coordinator but represents students, answers phone calls, and fills in the lead coordinator when she isn't there.
Definition of the Situation
This theory means that everyone defines the situation differently but it can be shared. The definition can be impacted by experiences, you can try to convince and/or coordinate with others.
This first quote shows how people restrict their music preferences so it won't bother others, but some people can define this situation differently. Her coworkers do not mind the hard rock but others who work in that building can define it as being disturbing,
She says she does not play hard rock music because she does not want to cause a disturbance.
This second quote explains how people deal with death differently. Usually people are crying or sad about it but the student coordinator was not,
The student coordinator then says that her grandma died and the supervisor, the lead coordinator and myself look at her. She said it in a very calm way.
The third quote shows how the lead coordinator defines death differently and convinces the student coordinator to use a different word,
The lead coordinator asked her if she can say pass away because it makes her uncomfortable hearing her say died over and over again. The student coordinator apologizes and then says pass away.
Symbolic Interaction
This theory means people interprets and responds to gestures and meanings. The way we interact with others depends on the situation we are in.
This first quote represents how music can help people interact with each other in a good way,
The workers said they sing songs from the band QUEEN on a daily basis because they all love that band.
This second quote shows that even though they are working, it doesn't mean they cannot have a good time at work,
All three seem to have a great and positive relationship. Even though they were working, they were talking and laughing.
The third quote shows how an interacting with someone over something simple can create a bond because you both like the same thing,
We talk about our love for coffee and how it is something we cannot live without. We can have up four cups of coffee a day and we share what places we like to buy coffee from.
Meaningful Action
This theory is the meaning of the action to the actor. Also, how that action is a reaction to past action of others and future actions of others.
This first quote shows can an action can cause a reaction of agreement from someone else,
The student coordinator says that she doesn't agree with saying passing away because it doesn't make sense and then she asks me. I agree with her because I always use the word died, I never say pass away.
This second quote shows how an action of agreement can cause reactions of being uncomfortable,
We ended that conversation quick because the supervisor and the lead coordinator said they were uncomfortable but were trying to relax by laughing.
The third quote shows how my action of observing did not resonate with the manager and she didn't like me being there during hours. She thought I was visiting and did not give me a chance to explain so my reaction was to leave,
She questioned me and asked if I was just visiting then to go to the visiting room. I assume she thought I was wasting the student coordinators time. I try to explain to her my research and that it is for a class but she does not really hear me out and repeats that there is a visiting room. I reply with ok and pack up my stuff. The student coordinator apologizes to me and tells me she is the manager. I apologize back to the student coordinator and let her know I did not want her to get into trouble.
Interviews:
These two-word frequency queries show which words were used repeatedly throughout my interviews. The word "like" was used a lot during the interviews but it is a filler word which they used to continue with their next thought.
Exact Matches: 1000 words
Stem words: 100
Front Stage/Back Stage
Goffman's theory presentation of self includes front stage and backstage. The front stage is usually a performance, a person's actions are seen by the audience. In the front stage, a person makes themselves look good and tries to give a good impression. In the backstage, people usually do whatever they want because they are not performing to an audience. In the backstage, you are not able to give a bad impression since you are not being watched and you can act how you like.
This first reference the student coordinator explains how at work you have to be professional while at home you don't. She explains how you need to keep a filter at work but at home, you can talk and act how you like.
Reference 1 - 1.13% Coverage
Student Coordinator: No um I think at a place of employment there is a certain level of professionalism that's expected and to say that I asked the same at home as I do at work would be a lie. I think at home you're in an environment that you're 100% more comfortable with you know you've lived with these people forever then you're just 100% yourself whereas when you're in a place of employment you do have to filter yourself sometimes. Even if we do end up saying some weird stuff.
The second reference the supervisor emphasizes how she is the same person at home and at work. She explains how in some situations you do need to act more professional and present yourself differently. Unless the situation requires her to be professional, then she acts the same way all the time.
Reference 2 - 0.88% Coverage
Supervisor: Yeah, you know that, I'm no different. um, I don't try to act like I'm somebody that i'm not unless I am on a quote on quote professional setting right so like I'm meeting with the president like I'm not going to act with the president the way that I act in my office um so I do code switch when I have to but here at my work no, i'm the same like when i'm at home.
In the third reference, the lead coordinator explains how she is relax around people she knows and is comfortable with. She does act the same way with her friends like she does at work.
Reference 3 - 0.81% Coverage
Lead Coordinator: uhhh, hmm maybe not, because i'm a lot more laid back when i'm at home but uhh i do act very similar how I act with my friends with them because like I got to know them a lot better so like I tend to be more relax when I know people, that usually works a lot better and that's true of work to but basically they are my friends
Status/Roles
A person's position in a social situation is called a status. Their roles is behavior that is expected for that particular status. People's statuses and roles go together; each staff member has their own status and role in this organization.
In reference one the student coordinator talks about the roles that the three staff members have before and during events.
Reference 1 - 1.59% Coverage
Student Coordinator: Our role is to handle all the technical stuff so that when it comes to the day of the event runs smoothly. So technical stuff meaning we plan, we pick the day, we pick the time, we pick um the speakers that we want there. We pick the location, if there's going to be food we pick what the catering is, we get it approved through our supervisor and her supervisor and we kind of go through that process um in addition we do the flyering and advertisement of the event, we promote it so people actually attend the event and some of that can be in partnership with on campus departments for instant the woman studies department and the social science department.
Reference two the student coordinator says her status and what is expected out of that.
Reference 2 - 0.44% Coverage
Student Coordinator: I'm a student coordinator which means I come up with ideas for stuff that we are going to do and once they are approved I actually start to do them and implement them.
Reference three the supervisor states her status and her roles. She explains she does more than what she is actually allowed to do because of her status.
Reference 3 - 1.54% Coverage
Supervisor: uhh a lot I actually supervise two programs, I supervise the gender program services and the LGTBQ services so I supervise 5 students in total which is more than I should be technically supervising are considering my classification on this campus um so I have to put on programming and educational services and resources for two whole programs that encompass more than just one infinity group so gender includes everyone right it's like every infinity group has gender and then you have LGTBQ which also can be in any group so it's a lot of work so I think a lot is expected of me but i mean i enjoy the work so it doesn't always feel like a lot.
In this reference, the supervisor expands on what is expected from her lead coordinator and the student coordinator during programs. She also explains what her roles are when they are creating those programs.
Reference 4 - 2.71% Coverage
Supervisor: Yeah, so the students are the ones that develop all the programming for the programs that I supervise so the students come up with the ideas and my job is really to help make those ideas actually become an actual program so the students really are what drives the programs here at our center um well for my programs anyway um I don't come up with an idea and then just tell them to do it they come up with the ideas, they propose the ideas, they set a budget for themselves they really do all of that and then um and when the day comes for the event, my role is really to support them through that event um so when they get to the event they are ready to go everything is ready to go and then their job is to you know sign people in and make sure everything's going well, if we have speakers make sure you're working with the speakers right, um so they do a lot of work like that um for their roles anyway and then they also have the office duty component for their job so they also have to work in the office, answer phones, make sure that the office is clean, deliver the mail, things like that so that's kind of like a separate piece to their job.
In this last reference, the lead coordinator expands on what is expected from her during events.
Reference 5 - 0.63% Coverage
Lead Coordinator: Uh basically to um help organize events and making sure I do all the reservations like doing all the paperwork, promotion is a big thing, social media, uhh we also like compose presentations and then give those presentations to different classes uhhh
Definition of the Situation
This theory means that although people can be going through the same situation or experience, the way they define it is different. A person can try to convince and/or coordinate with others.
The student coordinator explains how where the group works is considered a safe space by her and other students. She explains how feelings of isolation can lead to a mental disorder, and it is good to have a place where people can belong.
Reference 1 - 1.43% Coverage
Student Coordinator: Students need a safe space because if they don't have somewhere to go where they don't feel safe or they don't feel like they can be themselves than it's going to lead to a lot of you know mental health issues in their own lives. If they feel like they don't have anywhere to go then it's going to lead to isolation and they're going to feel alone and those feelings of alone can lead to things like depression and anxiety and stress and it's just not a good feeling to feel alone. So that's why we try to create a safe space so that they'd never feel alone but feel comfortable somewhere
The supervisor explains how where the group works and what they work with does impact her life drastically. She also explains how it has helped her gain knowledge in different areas in life.
Reference 2 - 2.57% Coverage
Supervisor: Yeah, the work we do here penetrates all other areas in my life, when you do the work that we do here, It's all social justice like centered so when you care so much about people like I'm a sociologist, I have my degree in sociology so I care about a lot about our society, I care a lot about the way in which were like moving in our society which I think is not positive, and so to do the work here which is very socially justice like centered touches a lot of those areas for me so i feel like sometimes it's positive and sometimes it's a negative impact because sometimes i'm doing work here and It's like crap that's going on like in the world and its impacting the students we work with and then it's like you can't separate the two so in my life like I'm so heartbroken by like all the shootings or all of the hate crimes and then you come here and it's like students identify with those groups and that kind of thing, then it's like you have to then deal with that here so there is an impact but it's also positive so a lot of things that I learned in my life I can bring it to my work
The lead coordinator talks about where she works has changed her life in a very positive way and has helped her with other issues.
Reference 3 - 3.48% Coverage
Lead Coordinator: Okk, so basically what happen was I was suppose to transfer to the university one year and um from the community college never sent the transcripts and I got a notice like the deadline was passed and I went to Fresno city and I'd like Hey what happened to my transfer and they were like oh well we didn't receive your payment for it so we didn't send it to the university and it's too late already and like I paid them but like I didn't have proof of that so I ended up having to wait a whole other year to try and enroll and uhh I just fell into depression, really bad depression for a couple of years and I didn't have a lot of motivation to do anything like even like feed myself or anything and uhm and I was excited that I was going to the university finally and I saw this workshop that was only for students, a diversity training, and I was like whatever it's happening tomorrow like I might as well put myself out there and do something so I won't sit here being depressed all the time and I go and the director of the center is there and I ended up speaking out of my experiences of discrimination as a lesbian and she really likes me and she ended up approaching me afterwards and saying like hey we are open for job applications, you should apply and so I apply for the job and I got it and that's awesome, that job has really helped feel like I have a purpose in life like I have a place where I belong like you know there is a reason why I am alive kind of thing.
Symbolic Interaction
This theory means people interprets and responds to gestures and meanings. The way we interact with others depends on the situation we are in.
The student coordinator explains how one can have biases based on where we grew up but that has to change with what you work with and the interactions she has.
Reference 1 - 1.81% Coverage
Student Coordinator: For me I think my preparation is mainly just remembering to be mindful that there are a lot of different people that come into our space and that no matter how open minded you are, you always come with some kind of internalized biases uh you know whether it's based on how you grew up or the environment that you're in and so it's just a reminder to myself to not let any kind of internalized biases I have get in my way of like helping people so just remembering that while I might think something differently that or have a different opinion as to what someone else has that doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong or they're right and I'm wrong but just kind of accepting people who they are and then go on from there is kind of what I tried to do.
The supervisor talks about the interactions she has within her group and how people respond when one idea isn't picked.
Reference 2 - 2.16% Coverage
Supervisor: um Yeah I mean for the most part um everybody's, everybody's ideas are heard and we always just kind of come to a consensus on what's going to work best for the program so we don't, we try really hard to not let our feelings get in the way of like oh you didn't pick my idea because you don't like me or whatever you know but really like making sure everybody's on board so we don't really have issues where we disagree on something I would say it sometimes it's just it could be like sometimes the issues is like, ok we have been talking about this for like 4 weeks like why don't i have a proposal my desk, like I'm done talking about it, like now I really want you to start putting something together for me to look at and that's sometimes more of the issue like ok we are communicating about it but we need to move forward and do something, so who's going to take that on and we all kind of look at each other
In this reference, the lead coordinator explains her emotions when everyone was staring at her during an event and how she responded during that interaction.
Reference 3 - 1.34% Coverage
Lead Coordinator: Oh ok, so we did transgender day of remembrance and uhh that was pretty fun so I was in charge of electronics so I had to be up on the stage making sure the music went on, and i had a memorial thing I had to make, so i had to make a powerpoint with different people that died this year and umm lets see at beginning of it the audio isn't working and so and I ended crying, and everyone was staring at me like why aren't you doing this right and so I went off and cried and it was also hormonal but yeah that was fun but we got things back on track after that
Meaningful Action
This theory is the meaning of the action to the actor. Also, how that action is a reaction to past action of others and future actions of others.
The student coordinator explains how a positive workforce has change her mentality of all workplaces especially since her previous workplaces were not positive.
Reference 1 - 0.92% Coverage
Student Coordinator: I think they have given me like a better understanding that not all workplaces that all workplaces are different you know um previous job experiences haven't been like this one and I say this one is significantly different because everyone gets along so well not just in my program but in all the other programs so its been really eye opening to see the differences in places
In this reference, the supervisor talks about an event they hosted and collaborated with others. This event had a positive outcome and promoted awareness.
Reference 2 - 3.12% Coverage
Supervisor: Oh ok, so trans day of remembrances is done every year um in November this year we partnered up with trans innotion which is a community organization that specifically focuses on a trans issues in our communities. They are the only group in the Valley that actually does um trans awareness so we partnered up with them to try and bring the community on to campus to kind of honored those that we lost, as a results of violence and suicide and the event is important because as we have a growing trans community on the campus in the Valley we need to have spaces that are meant to specifically commemorate those that we've lost and to kind of talk about how we can help the trans community um not be so marginalized or how we can help protect the trans community because the trans community is one of those communities that is really vulnerable to violence Um so it is important to do it for that reason um but we got in contact with the president of trans immotion and that sort of how that all started and we have a lot of people on campus are really active in the trans community so we connect with them as well and then it just became like a really good partnership and so we had a lot of people turn out cause they promoted in the community and we promote it on campus and um yeah that's sort of how we came across that
The lead coordinator explains how the action of someone trying to take credit for work they didn't do resulted in their group not collaborating with each other anymore and will not in the future.
Reference 3 - 1.77% Coverage
Lead Coordinator: Uh hmmm, well i'm trying to think of one that I actually resolve (laughs) uhhh, hmmm ok, so hmmm hold on i'm trying to think really quick, ok so we had one coworker where he would always want to collaborate with us on stuff and like he would want to collaborate his programs with ours and do an event where there would be a collaboration between us so like we would do that we would agree and be like OK so here's here's what you'll do and here's what we'll do kind of thing and he would keep on just assigning everything to us and we would end up doing all the work, and he wouldn't do anything and yet their names would be front and center on the flyer like ok and that was not fun and we resolve it by not collaborating with them anymore.
In this last reference, the lead coordinator explains how one school affected her by not getting into another school but in the future she was able to get in and work at this school. Her work has has a positive impact on her.
Reference 4 - 3.48% Coverage
Lead Coordinator:Okk, so basically what happen was I was suppose to transfer to the university one year and um from the community college never sent the transcripts and I got a notice like the deadline was passed and I went to Fresno city and I'd like Hey what happened to my transfer and they were like oh well we didn't receive your payment for it so we didn't send it to the university and it's too late already and like I paid them but like I didn't have proof of that so I ended up having to wait a whole other year to try and enroll and uhh I just fell into depression, really bad depression for a couple of years and I didn't have a lot of motivation to do anything like even like feed myself or anything and uhm and I was excited that I was going to the university finally and I saw this workshop that was only for students, a diversity training, and I was like whatever it's happening tomorrow like I might as well put myself out there and do something so I won't sit here being depressed all the time and I go and the director of the center is there and I ended up speaking out of my experiences of discrimination as a lesbian and she really likes me and she ended up approaching me afterwards and saying like hey we are open for job applications, you should apply and so I apply for the job and I got it and that's awesome, that job has really helped feel like I have a purpose in life like I have a place where I belong like you know there is a reason why I am alive kind of thing
Content Analysis:
This word cloud is 1000 words. The 1000 words shows the most frequent words used in the thirty five flyers.
This world cloud shows the 10 most frequent words used in the thirty five flyers.
Ruling texts
Ruling texts are established documents in an organization or group that guide and shape behavior. It is the mission statement of that organization or group usually written by someone who holds power.
The mission on this flyer is to get members on the LGBTQ advisory board to provide insights for all the different groups on the university campus. The members will provide useful information for present and future plans.
Reference 1 - 2.24% Coverage
APPLY TO JOIN OUR LGBTQ ADVISORY BOARD!
WHAT IS THE MISSION OF THE ADVISORY BOARD?
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES ADVISORY BOARD PROVIDES ADVICE. IDEAS, TOUCH POINTS FOR ALL GROUPS ON CAMPUS, AND ENERGY TO THE WORK OF LGBTQ PROGRAMS AND SERVICES.
SUPPORTING AND SUSTAINING THEIR MISSION THROUGH LONG TERM VISION AND PLANNING FOR STUDENTS.
This flyers mission is to remember all loved ones who died because of transgender violence and intolerance. Everyone is welcome to attend this event.
Reference 2 - 1.18% Coverage
TRANSGENDER DAY OF REMEMBRANCE
Join us in an evening of remembrance for all of the transgender lives that have been lost through violence and bigotry. Everyone is welcome.
The mission of this flyer is gain useful information about African Americans history and their present day struggles. The event also provided food and drinks which can be considered dinner since it was late in the evening.
Reference 3 - 1.63% Coverage
Who Am I?
Come join us on to gain a deeper understanding of African American history and the struggles that African Americans are faced with today.
Food and drinks will be provided.
September 26, 2018 6 p.m.-8 p.m.
Thomas building 110A
This flyer's mission is for a title ix expert to speak about new policies about sexual violence on college campuses. It is also to inform faculty and staff they must respond to sexual violence and how to do it.
Reference 4 - 1.07% Coverage
TITLE IX EXPERT TO SPEAK ON NEW LEGISLATION
RELATED TO SEXUAL VIOLENCE ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES & HOW FACULTY/ STAFF MUST RESPOND
JUDGE OF SPORTS LAW ASSOCIATES
Grounds
Grounds is part of a rhetoric of claims. It typifies examples, names, statistics, etc. It can also affect people or things, and either make things worse or better. Grounds is also known as the "what".
The "what" in this flyer is working with other cultural clubs and organizations on campus. The organization is providing lunch to attendees and people get to know each other's goals in their clubs and organizations.
Reference 1 - 1.22% Coverage
Calling all Cultural Clubs and Orgs!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO WORK WITH OTHER CULTURAL CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS?
IF SO, JOIN US FOR LUNCH!
SAVE THE DATE!
DECEMBER 5 11:30 A.M. 1 P.M.
This flyer's "what" is having an open discussion about being queer and being religious. It seems to provide a safe space for those who identify as body and will have special guests speaking about it.
Reference 2 - 0.93% Coverage
QUEER FAITH
AN OPEN DISCUSSION ABOUT RELIGION & SEXUALITY
FEATURING SPECIAL GUESTS
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2018 12-1:30 P.M. LIBRARY 3212
This flyer informs people about a vigil the organization will be holding in remembrance of Trayvon Martin who was killed due to gun violence. It provides the hashtag Black Lives Matter because it is a movement recognize the value of Black lives and it holds campaigns against violence and racism against Black people.
Reference 3 - 0.83% Coverage
#BLACKLIVESMATTER
CANDLELIGHT VIGIL
IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE LATE TRAYVON MARTIN
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26TH @6PM
FREE SPEECH
This flyer provided information about films that will be shown at the north gym that empower women. The event is called Lunafest and the money paid will be donated to a breast cancer awareness fund.
Reference 4 - 1.19% Coverage
LUNAFEST
"Empowering Women Through Short Films"
October 17, 2014 Doors open at 5:30pm FIlms begin at 6:30pm North Gym 118
Proceeds will benefit: Breast Cancer Awareness Fund
Warrants
Warrants is also part of the rhetoric of claims. Warrants changes over time and it shows values and emotions. Warrants is also known as the "why".
This flyer is asking people to go makeup free in solidarity with victims of domestic violence. Bruises and scars are a result of domestic violence and victims use makeup to cover it up. The "why" to go makeup free is to raise awareness and stand with the victims.
Reference 1 - 1.58% Coverage
JOIN IN GOING MAKEUP FREE FOR
MANY VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE USE MAKEUP TO COVER THEIR BRUISES & SCARS. RAISE AWARENESS, UNCOVER ABUSE, AND STAND WITH SURVIVORS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BY GOING MAKEUP FREE FOR ONE FULL DAY IN OCTOBER.
This flyer talks about people gaining knowledge of management and building a resume, it also provides volunteer work. The training also provides insight on how to help other who are having challenges and wanting to build their skills. The "why" is learning to teach others.
Reference 2 - 4.26% Coverage
PEERS SUPPORTING PEERS FALL 2018 TRAINING
Interested in gaining crisis management skills? Want to build your resume? Looking to get some volunteer hours?
TRAINING DATES:
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24, 3PM - 8PM
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 9AM - 3PM
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 3PM - 8PM
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 9 A.M. - 3 P.M.
Why should you be a part of this training?
Empower students as they learn to navigate through challenges.
Build leadership skills and connections.
Share knowledge with peers on a variety of topics.
Gain skills in crisis management.
Assist students in finding resources.
Become more comfortable with public speaking.
The organization is holding an event about embracing natural hair. The "why" is teaching African men and women how to wash and take care of their hair.
Reference 3 - 1.65% Coverage
African American Programs
Natural Hair Night!
Monday, April 16th, 2018
Everyone is welcome!
Where African American Men and Women can LEARN HOW TO:
Wash Hair
Moisturize Hair
Sponge men's hair
Care for men's facial hair
Braid and more!
This flyer is providing a safe space for latinas where they can talk about what they like. The "why" is stated in the flyer: being understood, supported, and empowered. The "why" is also to make new friends in this discussion group.
Reference 4 - 0.89% Coverage
ENTRE MUJERES
Feel Understood
Feel Empowered
Relieve Stress
Make New Friends
Feel Supported
A DISCUSSION GROUP FOR LATINAS
Conclusions - action
Conclusions is the third part of the rhetoric of claims. Conclusion is also known as "action". It is the action that needs to be taken as a result of grounds and warrants.
In this flyer the "action" is providing free clothes to transgender and gender-nonconforming person, or anyone else who is in needs. It is a closet full of different stuff that ranges from clothing to accessories.
Reference 1 - 1.51% Coverage
The Q clothing closet exists to provide FREE clothing to trans, gender-nonconforming folks. and anyone else who might need it. Stop by one of our scheduled pop-up shops to get free clothing, shoes, accessories. and make-up!
This second flyer is proving educational services to enlighten people about LGBTQ community, people, and the different identities. The "action" is informing people, teaching them the meanings, and hearing the experiences of others.
Reference 2 - 3.92% Coverage
ATTENTION STUDENT CLUBS AND ORGS!
Take advantage of the new educational services on campus!
Choose from the following classroom presentations to enhance your students perception about LGBTQ, people and identities:
IDENTITIES 101: Learn the meaning of the LGBTQ identities, LGBTQ history, stereotypes, and the difference between gender and sexuality
GENDER 101: Learn the meanings of the gender identities, gender roles, pronouns, and the gender spectrum
NARRATIVE PANEL: Hear about the lived experiences of LGBTQ individuals from a panel of 3 -4 LGBTO people (including a Q & A)
The organization is proving a support group for women on campus. The "action" is providing a space where women can be heard and accepted. Also for women to listen and understand the experiences of other women on campus.
Reference 3 - 1.68% Coverage
SISTAH TO SISTAH!
Come Support & Be Supported!
Need a place to meet with women you can relate to?
A place where you are understood, heard, and accepted?
Come listen and lend your voice to this positive endeavor as we
"lift as we all climb".
This flyer is promoting the non binary identity. The "action" is people submitting quotes for people to be informed about their identity.
Reference 4 - 2.66% Coverage
NON BINARY POSTER CAMPAIGN
Do you want to be featured in a poster campaign promoting awareness of
non-binary gender identities?
We need people from all areas of the gender spectrum.
Submit quotes on what YOU think people need to know about YOUR identity.
If you are chosen we will contact you to schedule a photoshoot!
To submit your quotes or for more information write to us or call us.
Collective action frames
This theory helps organizations and groups communicate their identity: who they are and what they do. They are usually stories of empowerment, success, sense of agency, and accomplishing things.
This flyer is showing a sense of agency. It is showing this because it is expressing to show your pride by wearing rainbow apparel. Rainbow apparel is part of the LGBTQ community.
Reference 1 - 1.57% Coverage
PRIDE WEEK 2018
PRIDE APPAREL DAY
SHOW YOUR PRIDE ON CAMPUS BY WEARING RAINBOW APPAREL ON NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY!
THURS. OCTOBER 11, 2018
POST YOUR PRIDE ON FACEBOOK. TWITTER. OP INSTAGRAM AND USE THE HASHTAG #FSPRIDEWEEK2018
This flyer also shows a sense of agency within the Native American culture. Native Americans are comfortable with their genders and sexuality. The event will also give a training to attendees to learn about gender roles and how it is today.
Reference 2 - 3.04% Coverage
Gender & Sexuality in Native American Cultures
Many Native American nations recognized on-binary definitions of gender and sexuality. This training details the history, stories, and language used by several prominent tribes. Participants of this training will learn the basics of different gender roles, the part each role played, how those roles are experienced today, and how to strengthen service models when working with Native youth and families.
This flyer shows stories of empowerment. This panel is about people who identify as both queer and undocumented. This panel is also to give a voice to those who cannot speak about it and show there are allies.
Reference 3 - 1.58% Coverage
UNDOCU - QUEER
Join us as we discuss the experiences of undocumented queer students who belong to both identities.
This panel aims to give a voice to both undocumented and queer communities as we learn how to be more effective allies.
This flyer shows stories of success. It shows how people who are Hispanic with disabilities are able to overcome the challenges that come with their disabilities.
Reference 4 - 4.22% Coverage
Cross Cultural Celebration Event
Hispanic Heritage Month
Student Panel: "Definido por mis habilidades. Defined by my abilities."
Thursday, September 24th 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. Library 2206
As we begin to acknowledge and understand intersectionality and how our various identities contribute to how we define ourselves, we have to remember to also consider disabilities. Who we are culturally affects how we integrate our various identities. In this panel discussion, we will look at just how different members of the Hispanic and Latino communities have learned to deal with disabilities and how others in the community view it.
CONCLUSION
In conclusion, I analyzed a group who is found in a university campus by observation and participatory observation. The data I collected from these observations was then analyzed by using five sociological theories. These patterns of theory are shown in the daily work routines, interactions, and others who around them. Thick description was used to explain everything I saw in detail and then coded into theories. The data I collected from the interviews were then analyzed by using the same sociological theories used in observation. These patterns of theory are shown in the daily work routines, interactions, and events that they come up with.
My first attempt from the scanned flyers to be transcribed was unsuccessful. Fortunately, my second attempt I extracted thirty-five flyers from my organization's Facebook page. Those flyers were transcribed and coded through Nvivo. I used five different theories: ruling texts, grounds, warrants, conclusions, and collective action frames
The theories I used included front stage/backstage, status/roles, the definition of the situation, symbolic interaction, and meaningful action. The tool I used in the analysis was a computer software called Nvivo; additional data was added like word clouds to show which words were used the most during this research.
BIBLIOGRAPHY
Discovering Qualitative Methods: Ethnography, Interviews, Documents, and Images, Third Edition. 2014. Carol A. B. Warren and Tracy Xavia Karner.
Aleks Rodas
College of Social Sciences
Sociology Major / Women Studies Major
California State University, Fresno
5241 N Maple Ave, Fresno, CA 93740
No comments:
Post a Comment